Bird of Prey attacking Chickens, Identify PLEASE

How big are the chickens it was attacking? We've had several (thankfully unsuccessful, we have lots of cover) attacks on juvenile birds but the haws around here seem to leave the adults alone
Your pictures, excellent pictures by the way, seem to show a juvenile bird.
We do he ospreys by the river that sometime fly up and down our creek, but they have always left our chickens alone. I think their diet consists of fish only.

My chickens are a range of ages, some up to five years old (adopted rescue a year ago), some are new hatch this spring along with their rooster of the same age and four Guineafowl of the same age. I have 22 fowl in my care. They free range my three acres after about 1:00 pm until they roost for the night, at that time I not only lock them up in the roosting area of our barn, but shut, lock the gate of their yard. The chicken yard is open for them to again to free range after 1:00 PM until they once again roost.

After contacting the U of I (University of IL) and sending photos to three different bird group forums I have learned that I have photographed two different types of hawks. The flying photo is that of a Cooper's Hawk, the second (on the ground) is a Juvenal Red Tailed Hawk.... both only doing what they need to do to survive. I promise there will be no SSS here, I was really speaking out of anger and fear for my chickens. It is what it is and if I chose to allow my chickens to enjoy some free range time it can and eventually will come with a price to pay. Now, does anyone have any advice on how to hawk proof a chicken yard?

The only sure way is to cover it with netting. I buy deer netting. It can be found at any hardware store. I got mine at Lowes. It was around $11 for a 7 x 100 foot roll.
It is easy to work with, light weight. I secured mine to the top of the run with zip ties and to the coop with cup hooks.
The only drawback to it is that snow/ice collects easily on it and weights it down and it will break some of the ties.
I live in Eastern Missouri so snow is not nearly as bad here as in areas further north.
I keep a broomstick by the gate and after a snow a few good whacks the snow falls through.

My biggest problem with hawks seem to be the juvenile red tails. The Coopers Hawks seem to like to torment my hens.

Agreed. The only way for me to stop it at first was covering the run with chicken wire and or netting. Sometime a large decoy Owl placed in different areas of the yard in the open can keep hawks away. Only thing you need to do is about every other day move it to another spot and in a different position. That way they do not get use to it.

Back
Top Bottom