Bird Square Footage Requirement

Rooster Rules

Songster
7 Years
I have read and many quote a 4 sq ft per bird, for a coop, 2 sq ft per Bantam, basically "rule of thumb", and different situations=different rules.
When I was big into keeping African Cichlids, some breeds could live in harmony, in close proximity, and some could not, no matter how much space, these fish have quite the "pecking order".
I am seriously thinking of keeping 3-4 banties in a 3 ftX5ftX3ft high indoor cages, staying in my insulated and heated garage, looks more like a house in there, big,bright, and lots of natural light from windows.
I know this is not ideal, as the birds will stay in the cage for the winter till spring. I can keep it clean, but do worry about any fighting and maiming, will be 1 rooster, 2-3 hens, Black Rosecombs.
Any ideas comments etc.
BTW Happy Halloween RR up north in the woods of Canada

Honestly if it were me, I'd try to get them into an insulated shed or wait til spring to buy them. They will like more room than that, but that's just my opinion.

They like to scratch the soil and fly around on the ground, and be very active. It will be hard on them to be in a cage.

Got news for you, no soil scratching here all winter, snow and ice....LOL No seriously, I do not have the time right this month to build my new coop, that will get done later this winter or in spring.
Lot of people in this area apparently keep there banties inside for 2-3 months during the winter.
Actually got this idea from Wyandotte Texas, he keeps his breeding trios inside for 5-6 months over winter, in a 3ftX4ftX2 ft high cages, with no detriment to the birds. I am not sure he allows them out during this time, I would let them out for excercise on mild winter days.
I am not 100 % sure what I will be doing, but will make up my mind by tomorrow......thanx RR

Last edited:
Some breeds do better in cages than others & I do not have experience with Rosecomb. I would think that the level of stimulation in a garage would be low and not ideal. If you let them out and handle them often it would probably work.

Some breeds do better in cages than others & I do not have experience with Rosecomb. I would think that the level of stimulation in a garage would be low and not ideal. If you let them out and handle them often it would probably work.
I figured the same, but it is a bright cheery place, and they will get a window seat in front of a tri pane slider window, lots of light, TV, and Stereo in there, spent a lot of time in there fixin things and hangin out.
I am not committed to this idea just yet, but do think it might work out for a short term.....thanx RR

Here is the start of my bantam cage/mini open air coop. back, sides will be cladded, roof, either bevelled cedar, or tin. The front will be cage on top section, and maybe door. Air can ventilate under roof front to back, a 3/4 inch gap, this combined with front cage will allow coop to vent.
I am using this inside this winter, but may place outside in spring, when outside ambient temps remain above 32f.
Dimensions are 3ft X 4 1/2 ft, 32 inches high in front, 24 inches high in rear. I am making a nest box to attach on rear outside, to not use up any floor are inside.
I am making a stand, maybe on wheels, at least 32 inches off the ground, I like high as I am 6'3", any getting older.....got about 4hours into this, maybe 4 hours more to finish

You have great carpentry skills - lucky you, lucky chickens!

Keep in mind I am very much a newbie and have no business giving anyone advice but the first thing that popped into my head is, you may want to consider adding your roo in the spring. I would be concerned that your hens would have no way to escape the roo's attentions if they needed to... Anyone who knows more than I do (which would be just about everyone on BYC...lol...feel free to jump in and contradict me if I am wrong...)

Back
Top Bottom