birds are speling there warer and drinking it with dirt lots of it

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joels birds, Nov 27, 2012.

1. joels birds

joels birds New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    when I give them water they will mix the water with dirt and eat the wet dirt wont eat much its like if they reather eat the wet dirt then there food need help on how to fix it i tryed deworming them but not working

2. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Hi Joel. [​IMG]

I don't think it's anything to worry about. My chickens all come running when I am watering or when I rinse out their water bowls. They love to look for things floating in the water and scratch around in the mud. It's fun and keeps them from getting bored. I've never worried about it and they haven't gotten worms from doing it. They especially like eating their food (crumbles) if it gets wet. Once I noticed that, I usually spill a bit in a puddle on purpose, and they clean it right up. Maybe they can taste stuff better when it's wet. I know I prefer my raisin bran with some milk rather than dry!

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's best to elevate the water so they can't get dirt in it. I try to keep the rim about the height of the back.
    They do seem to like drinking off the ground but it's much better if they only get clean water.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I set my waterers on concrete blocks laid on their side. They get a little trash in there, but not much, and they don't get any water out unless it is nearly empty and they turn it over.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Mine will throw dirt in their water right after I clean them.[​IMG] They might be making themselves girt to help digest their food. So try giving them some grit to see if that helps any.

6. joels birds

joels birds New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    Thanks

7. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I think chickens really prefer dirty water. It's earth flavoured, lol.
    Mine would prefer a muddy puddle over pristine water any day.
    And as mine free range almost everyday, how could I keep them out of the dirt anyway.
    I think it's only natural.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by