Birth of a Hummingbird ...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kathyinmo, Oct 8, 2009.

1. catwalk

catwalk Songster

May 19, 2009
    Great story and pictures! That nest was so carefully made - I love it!

2. jafo

jafo Songster

May 2, 2009
    [​IMG] When we were small guys, living in the wilds of the Great Northeast, my brothers and I climbed trees like Orangs. One day in doing so, I / we found a hummers nest in the black cherry beside the house, It was the size of half a walnut, and it had an egg in it. Mom warned us to "leave it alone, and stay away" yeah right. We never touched anything, and heeded Mom's warnings. Found the egg casing on the ground one day and went to peek, and there he was, tiniest thing I ever see. Told Mom, and that was the end of climbing for a while. Beautiful little birds. Today, 45 years ago, my wife and I look forward to having them come every year.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    THAT WAS AWESOME! totally so cool to see that! Thanks for sharing

4. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    All you who get hummers should consider yourselves very lucky! Here in Long Island surburbia - I've never seen one. They are few and far between and it's much too busy where I am for them to come have a visit. I've tried everything to attract them but to no avail. Oh well, I guess that's why I've planned my vacations around where I know I'll get the chance to see them in their summer digs![​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  5. Amyable

Amyable Songster

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    I adore hummers, thanks so much for sharing that!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: