Bit of a riddle

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PrestineJustice, Feb 1, 2015.

1. PrestineJustice

PrestineJustice New Egg

Feb 1, 2015
    I'm a new BYC keeper in the Cleveland area. I've had my 5 hens since April. I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy having my own chickens and fresh eggs! When I got my day old chicks I was told I was purchasing a Golden Buff, Black Australorp, Salmon Faverolles, & 2 Easter Eggers. From everything I've read it seems as though my GB is actually a Red Star (maybe the same bird 2 different names? Not sure) The real mystery is that I have collected 3 pale blue/greenish colored eggs three times this week but I only have two bird that are supposed to lay eggs that color egg. At first I thought one of my Easter Eggers was laying twice a day but I'm not sure thats possible... I'm thinking its mor likely that my Faverolles is really a light colored EE. Any thoughts???

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Could you post pictures of your alleged Salmon faverolles? Faverolles and easter eggers both have puffy cheeks .....

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! That is a riddle! I don't have experience of EE's but would suggest that you get some pics of your birds and post in this section of the forum.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
    I am sure the experts over there will be able to you identify your birds.

Lovely to hear you are enjoying your chicken keeping and fresh eggs. Be sure to ask the questions you may have, everyone here to help.
    Enjoy BYC :frow

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Golden Buff is one of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster (RIR, NH, or PR) with a silver gene hen (RIW, WPR, SLW, LS, or Delaware). Not only can the offspring be sexed by color from hatching, they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Other labels under which hatcheries market Red Sex Links include Red Star, Gold Star, Cinnamon Queen, Bovans Brown, Brown Sex Link, Gold Sex Link, Golden Comet, Hubbard Golden Comet, Isa Brown, Shaver Brown, Babcock Brown, Warrens, HyLine Brown, Gold Lines, Lohmans, Lohmans Brown, Red Shaver, Brown Shaver, and Bovans Goldline. You have a third Easter Egger so either your "Salmon Faverolles" or your "Black Australorp" is actually an EE. Definitely post some pics on our What Breed or Gender is This? link that Yorkshire Coop left with you and let our experts there take a look at them. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

As Michael O'Shay stated, "Golden Buff" is just another name for a Red Sex-Link. Your Faverolles could definitely be an Easter Egger. I'd post a photo here to be sure, or in the What Breed or Gender section.

Good luck with your flock ,and I hope you can solve the riddle soon!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

If you post some photos of your birds, we'll be happy to help identify them. [​IMG]

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by