Bitten by a chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CrazyBirdLady, Apr 20, 2009.

1. CrazyBirdLady

CrazyBirdLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Salem / Redgranite
    No, I wasn't litterally bitten by a chicken... Figuratively bitten, since I decided a week ago that I want to raise chickens (and ducks and geese) and have been a bird brain ever since!

A little about me: I'm married to a wonderful man that is willing to let me live out my dream of having a farm. We've been together for 7 years and married for 9 months, and although I probably won't get him to do anything with the animals he's my handyman/mechanic/builder/engineer/fixer-guy. [​IMG] We currently live in SE Wisconsin in a small neighborhood out in the "country" and I absolutely hate it. [​IMG] We have 5 dogs and I have a cat that I love and hope they won't eat the chickens.

So I'm not going to raise chickens on my measly 1/4-1/2 acre plot in the flood plain where the mosquitoes will carry you away in the summer... We are fortunate enough to own a cabin and 5 acres about 30 miles outside of Oshkosh, WI.

The plan: Hopefully within the next year I will have remodeled a temporary chicken coop (bartering it from our friend across the street) and run, and a year after that I will have hand-built at least one of two 8'x16' chicken coops and one of two 24'x24' runs. The chickens will free-range the woods on our property during the summer and access the run during the winter. Eventually I would like to have two coops for 50-75 chickens, and two runs to alternate run/garden. After that comes the pond and the ducks & geese.

Refer to my username "CrazyBirdLady" for that is what I have become. That's okay with me! It's nice to meet y'all! [​IMG]

~Nicole
    Salem, WI

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. Blue Skys

Blue Skys Hi Mom!!

Nov 25, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG]

Once you get bit by the chicken bug, there's no turning back!

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Better watch out! It may turn into rabies. [​IMG]

4. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    [​IMG] from Montana

5. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009