Bitter Apple Spray

TOPChickens14

Songster
Dec 19, 2020
Northern New York
Hello I am looking for ways to stop my chickens from pulling their feathers out and came upon this post. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...apple-spray-eliminate-feather-pecking.849807/
I found a product like this that does not contain alcohol as it can sting their skin. https://www.amazon.com/Chewing-Corr...+alcohol&qid=1617026294&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-4
I am wondering if this can be applied to the skin too? My chicken's feathers starting to grow back but then they pull the growing feathers out again.

Hello I am looking for ways to stop my chickens from pulling their feathers out and came upon this post. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...apple-spray-eliminate-feather-pecking.849807/
I found a product like this that does not contain alcohol as it can sting their skin. https://www.amazon.com/Chewing-Corr...+alcohol&qid=1617026294&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-4
I am wondering if this can be applied to the skin too? My chicken's feathers starting to grow back but then they pull the growing feathers out again.
I dono, I use that same product on my dog and gerbils wheel. I think it is safe. If it isn't than I don't wanna use it on my dog even.

What % protein is in your feed? Rooster to hen ratio? Sq Ft per bird? Are they self plucking or bullying and plucking a neighbor?

They pull feathers for a reason, putting bitter yuck on them won't solve that reason. I can't really see this working long term and even that poster had a commenter stating they did not have the same results and their hen ignored the taste and kept right on pulling their own feathers out. I'd also worry that it would deter a chicken from properly preening its feathers and spreading its oil.

I feed them a 16%. They are no roosters. They have less space than I would like because I underestimated the size needed. I am quite certain they are plucking each other. What's not helping is when ever I pick them up they squat down thinking I'm a rooster. I have seen them do this when they pull they feathers, they just squat and let them pull it. I believe boredom caused the picking to start as they were stuck in their little undersized coop over winter.

I'd get them more space to start. I find that usually if they look cramped then they are very very much so. They might survive, but chances are they won't thrive. If more space is impossible then fewer birds might be a consideration. It sounds like these birds have more space now but it's hard to tell from your wording if it's enough now or not.

Aside from addressing that, I'd increase the protein for a while either with feather fixer pellets (18%) or supplementing your current feed with BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) or mealworms. Also add some enrichment like putting loose hay over the BOSS/mealworms so they have to scratch and dig around to get them. Provide small amounts of fresh produce like spinach, garden weeds, tomatoes, etc. Nothing crazy just about a handful here and there of somethingto try. The idea is to give them something to do instead of picking at each other and supplementing them for better feather growth. Feathers require a lot of protein to grow. Some will pick at each other too if they're protein starved. Being inside all winter could leave them deficient too since there's no bugs to gobble up.

So I did the math and they have 2 sq. ft. of coop space. I WISH I had more space but that's just not gonna happen. The plucking isn't extremely bad, they don't show any signs of pain or suffering or anything negative except for bare spots. I don't think that having this habit start in the winter helped (they have less space then). I hope the warm weather and going outside will help. Those were all great suggestions and I'll try them out and let you know if they worked.
Thanks!

I feed them a 16%.
They may be eating the feathers for more protein. Ryebi suggested 18%; you could even for a 20% all flock type of feed and the put oyster shell out for their calcium needs. I would do this right away, even if it means throwing out half a bag of your current feed.

Or save what you have now, and give them the higher percentage feed for a couple weeks. Then use up the old stuff by mixing a little in with the new.

Back
Top Bottom