Bitter eggs??

Free ranging they may be eating a lot more of something bitter like dandilions.
I know giving the birds certain things like flax seed is said to make the eggs taste odd.

I would take a walk around where they range and see what is out there in abundance.

Free ranging they may be eating a lot more of something bitter like dandilions.
I know giving the birds certain things like flax seed is said to make the eggs taste odd.

I would take a walk around where they range and see what is out there in abundance.
There were a lot of dandelions a few weeks ago, but now they are all gone and replaced by clovers, yet just yesterday we had a bitter egg in the batch. It seems to be more often, the ones that my Black Stars are laying

I have confirmed that the culprit for the bitter eggs is actually not my black stars. It's my Isa brown, Ginger. She is over 2 yrs old. I know Isa Browns don't have a very long life span. Could her bitter eggs have something to do with her age? Now all her eggs r bitter.

I have confirmed that the culprit for the bitter eggs is actually not my black stars. It's my Isa brown, Ginger. She is over 2 yrs old. I know Isa Browns don't have a very long life span. Could her bitter eggs have something to do with her age? Now all her eggs r bitter.

No. There is something else going on.

I have 2 black sex links 5 years old still laying and eggs are fine. I have birds older than that (11 is my oldest) still laying and eggs are fine. In all my years keeping chickens age has never made the eggs taste bitter.

How is her behavior? Is she sluggish at all?

I am wondering if she has an underlying health issue going on.

No. There is something else going on.

I have 2 black sex links 5 years old still laying and eggs are fine. I have birds older than that (11 is my oldest) still laying and eggs are fine. In all my years keeping chickens age has never made the eggs taste bitter.

How is her behavior? Is she sluggish at all?

I am wondering if she has an underlying health issue going on.
They say Isa Browns live only 2 to 3 yrs. So I guess she's considered elderly for an ISA Brown. She doesn't act weird. She's very energetic and vibrant

They say Isa Browns live only 2 to 3 yrs. So I guess she's considered elderly for an ISA Brown. She doesn't act weird. She's very energetic and vibrant

They say that about leghorns, black sex links and California whites too. I have had all those and none died before 7 years old. All still laid eggs too.

After 2 years they slowed down and instead of 6-7 a week I got 3-4 a week but they still laid nice eggs.

While ISA are a production bird and more prone to early death.....from reproductive issues.... they can and do often live much longer.

They say that about leghorns, black sex links and California whites too. I have had all those and none died before 7 years old. All still laid eggs too.

After 2 years they slowed down and instead of 6-7 a week I got 3-4 a week but they still laid nice eggs.

While ISA are a production bird and more prone to early death.....from reproductive issues.... they can and do often live much longer.
Hmmmm.... Then I guess I'm dumbfounded lol :confused:

Back
Top Bottom