Bitter pickled eggs!??? Joe Jost's Picked Eggs was recipe used

Tweeza

Songster
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
New England
A couple of weeks ago I made Joe Jost's Picked Eggs. My daughter ate on yesterday and said they were bitter. She said they were great two days after pickling. So, my question is...how long can they sit on the counter and did I do something wrong if they turned bitter or is that normal??

Thanks so much for any advise. It's the first pickled eggs that turned out, at least in the beginning.

I've never left any pickled eggs in a jar out on a counter for weeks. I always refrigerate mine maybe that's the problem they turned rancid?

I always keep mine in the frig too; but they do keep them on the counters in bars, and that is a method they used to transport them with out refrigeration way back when . . . I would suggest refrigeration. Am curious what recipe you used; we always just use leftover pickle juice and leftover pickled jalepeno juice.

My husband leaves them on the counter up to about two weeks. The taste of the eggs usually gets stronger the longer they sit in the pickling juice. After about two weeks the eggs get a little rubbery. At Joe Jost's the large pickled egg jars are always out on the counter too. They don't refrigerate them at the bar at all.

I forgot to mention. The one time we kept them longer, other than being rubbery, my brother in law said they did get a stronger, unpleasant flavor and the pickling juice went too far into the egg ruining it.

Last edited:
Okay, another possibility my husband mentioned that could make them taste odd... Did you have them in a jar with a metal lid or a glass lid? I am sure it has been mentioned elsewhere on pickling, but the pickling juices can corrode metal lids and ruin the food. We always keep our pickled eggs in a jar with a glass top for this reason.

right now I have them in a glass jar with glass lid, the old fashioned kind with the rubber seal and metal gadget that keeps it closed and tight. I was going to give some as gifts. I'd have to use glass jars with metal canning lids. Hopefully, they'll be one before it affects them! It's the thought that counts, right?

Last edited:
The Joe Jost pickled eggs should be cured in the brine for two to three days. After that put the sealed brining jar into the refrigerator to slow or halt the curing process. The eggs should remain tasty for about two weeks although my pickled eggs don't last much more than a week especially when the kids and grand-kids stop by the house. I usually make three dozen eggs at a time.

Joe Jost puts them out onto the counter during business hours only and keeps them in the refrigerator when the bar is closed. They go through so many eggs that a jar is on the counter for only a couple of hours. Joe Jost also strains the brining liquid of the garlic and pickling spices after scooping the chili peppers out of the jar. The brine liquid is reused to store the eggs and a bunch of the used chili peppers are replaced into the jar for serving with the eggs. Nothing quite as good as watching a game on TV, having a Joe Jost Special (sausage on rye bread, dill pickle, swiss cheese optional, and mustard), a couple of Joe's eggs with pretzel sticks and a COLD beer.

Back
Top Bottom