Bittersweet Update

CoffeeAndHens

Chirping
May 8, 2023
Goodness it has been a minute! Hello everyone! I've been so busy with my promotion and still working both jobs, as well as managing the farm, that I haven't posted much!
Unfortunate news first: My darling crossbeak Tictac, who I posted about, ended up passing. Her beak got more severe, and despite my attempts to feed her and keep it maintained I couldn't save her. I'm preserving her bones to make a memorial

Some happy news though! I took in another crossbeak a bit after I received Tictac, with a beak that grows opposite of Tictac's, and she is doing amazing! She's a bit tiny, a little thinner than the other girls, but is just as rowdy and eats just fine. Every so often I supplement mash with her normal crumbles, but otherwise she's wonderful. Her name is Chrissy. Their difference in growth was obvious after just a couple weeks, I'm assuming it's their beak shapes. I've also taken in a wry neck baby! Her name is Tilt A Whirl, named after her tilted head and the way she runs in circles when she's excited or startled. Funny enough, she can set her head the right way and walk straight, but otherwise it's usually tilted. I've been debating a name for my future farm (The farm my parents and I own has been jokingly deemed "Anxiety Acres") to honor Tictac, something like Crooked Beak Crossing/Acres.

We had a couple losses, as well as another close call with a coyote right up by the barn by the electric fence. Luckily nobody was lost that night though. A few nights my hens have sent up an alarm call, which my silkie and legbar roo joined in on, but nothing showed up the rest of the night.

Turns out, my overly friendly grey silkie turned out to be a rooster. Luckily he's no good at being a rooster, or a bird in general for that matter, so Snickers doesn't feel threatened by him. 3 banties left to figure out if they're hens or roos!
Included is a picture of Tilts napping in my hand before I took her home! She loves hanging out. I believe she's either a Rhode Island Red or a Calico Princess, it's hard to tell when we've got two reddish brown breeds in a tank together at work

Attachments

• Snapchat-121148819.jpg
    Snapchat-121148819.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 85
I am so sorry to learn of Tictac's passing. I know you worked so hard to help her, and I think it's great that you are memorializing her. Sounds like Chrissy is faring much better, thanks to your care and support. And, you've added a wry neck baby; you must have the BIGGEST heart.

I like both farm names :). I refer to my property as "A Wing and a Prayer Acres." Plenty of special needs critters make or have made their home here.

Even when predators don't strike, their presence is unnerving. I admire the adaptability and intelligence of coyotes (in the abstract!), but I get shook up on nights when I can hear their "concerts" out in the dark surrounding my property.

So, the silkie is a roo? At least he's not upsetting the social order.

Sounds like you have your hands full -- and then some. Best wishes with juggling it all!

And thanks for posting the sweet baby photo. I have had an RIR and just added two Calico Princesses to the flock. I would not be able to tell them apart as chicks.

I am so sorry to learn of Tictac's passing. I know you worked so hard to help her, and I think it's great that you are memorializing her. Sounds like Chrissy is faring much better, thanks to your care and support. And, you've added a wry neck baby; you must have the BIGGEST heart.

I like both farm names :). I refer to my property as "A Wing and a Prayer Acres." Plenty of special needs critters make or have made their home here.

Even when predators don't strike, their presence is unnerving. I admire the adaptability and intelligence of coyotes (in the abstract!), but I get shook up on nights when I can hear their "concerts" out in the dark surrounding my property.

So, the silkie is a roo? At least he's not upsetting the social order.

Sounds like you have your hands full -- and then some. Best wishes with juggling it all!

And thanks for posting the sweet baby photo. I have had an RIR and just added two Calico Princesses to the flock. I would not be able to tell them apart as chicks.
It's always heartbreaking when we get in special needs birds at work, or any who may be stragglers. They have little hearts of gold though, no matter how long or short they're with us. Little Chris has started doing the things Tictac used to do, following me around, comfortably jumping onto my hands or my lap. She likes going places too! She visited my coworkers the one day I went to pick up feed. There's been a few I've had to turn down unfortunately, due to not having the resources to care for them, but luckily a couple other coworkers and our regulars do know how to help them.
Whirly's size has gotten her picked on a bit by the older chicks who are ready to go out (who have been informed to stay out of the baby tank several times now-), but my young hen who adopts every baby she sees monitors everyone.
My silkie boy I'm convinced isn't smart enough to cause much disturbance, and he hangs out with my other boy he was raised with and they preen each other sometimes. I have 3 other bantams that could potentially be roos, but 2 are silkies so it would be the same deal as little Iggy

@CoffeeAndHens you need some hugs. :hugs You have a heart of gold caring for these crossbeaks. 💛
:hugs It's definitely hard, watching after Tictac was a handful, and losing her was devastating because she was so close with me. Chrissy has really taken a shine to me though after I lost Tictac, and I'm hoping her and Tilts will both be okay as they get older

Realizing I've never shared a picture of Chrissy! Here she is! I'm not sure on her breed yet, I'm almost thinking olive egger, I can't remember what breed tank she was in when I took her from work. Pardon her scrudgy face, she was eating right before I took this lmao

Attachments

• IMG_20230623_163233.jpg
    IMG_20230623_163233.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230623_163235.jpg
    IMG_20230623_163235.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 3
Realizing I've never shared a picture of Chrissy! Here she is! I'm not sure on her breed yet, I'm almost thinking olive egger, I can't remember what breed tank she was in when I took her from work. Pardon her scrudgy face, she was eating right before I took this lmao
Awww.....what a sweetheart! :love

Back
Top Bottom