Bizarre chicken feathering

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicks Galore3, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    One of my production reds decided it wanted to become a speckled sussex! When she molted her feathers grew in all speckled:
    [​IMG]
    PR On top SS on bottom. Have any of you ever seen this? Why could have cause this? She's almost 2.

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

Whoa that's cool looking! As long as she's acting fine (eating, drinking, being silly [​IMG]) then I wouldn't worry.
    oo oo oo oo oo!!!!! Look up spontaneous sex reversal! It's where a hen starts looking and acting like a rooster, and it's SUPER rare!!!
    BUT it will only be that /\ if she is a sex-linking hybrid of some sort, because red sex-link roos are white/cream. I haven't heard of a PR being sold as a RSL, but you never know. I heard a story of a mostly white EE that molted into a million shades of orange, acted like a rooster, but next molt, turned white again [​IMG] It's really cool.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  3. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Woooooah that's interesting!! I got her from the brown egg later bin from TSC so she could be a RSL.
    She acting fine and dandy, so that's all good.

4. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

This is the coolest thing I have ever "seen" [​IMG]
    Except for the emu that got loose in the field across the road from us - THAT was pretty cool.

ETA: If she does start crowing and being all manly and stuff, maybe shoot your state vet lab an e-mail?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by