Black Australorp Babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kerilou, May 19, 2010.

1. Kerilou

Kerilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2009
    Ellenburg Depot, NY
    I got 6 girls and a rooster on Sunday...newly hatched.. THey sent me an extra rooster, so it is 2:6..is there any way to tell the boys from the girls? Just curious...they move so fast, and I haven't isolated them to see if I can tell, LOL!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know of any reliable way with Black Australorps. They are not crosses, so they are not sex links. I think you are going to have to wait until they are 5 or 6 weeks old.

3. Kerilou

Sep 15, 2009
    Ellenburg Depot, NY
    thanks for that... basically, their head markings vary *very* slightly..and I wondered if that was a clue...guess I will just have to be patient to see if I got what I paid for! LOL

4. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have two, seven week old Australorps and as chicks one had quite a bit more white fuzz on her face. Now, they both look like they're pullets. They do grow to be beautiful birds. Mine are very calm.

5. scooterward

scooterward Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Lenoir City, TN
    I love my Austrolorps! They are about 3.5 weeks old. Sophia is soooo friendly and getting to be such a mamma's girl. Chloe is getting much friendlier too. Both are girls (that's what I ordered) and both are growing the same (they feather out more quickly than some of my other breeds but not as fast as the roos that are in the bunch).

Have fun with them and good luck!

6. Kerilou

Sep 15, 2009
    Ellenburg Depot, NY
    thanks! i specifically ordered 6 girls and one boy, but they sent me an extra boy... they are so cute! And WILD! i have 27 in all, those 8, 7 light brahmas and 12 EE'rs..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by