Black Australorp Hen???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by redheadrenae, Oct 28, 2012.

1. redheadrenae

redheadrenae New Egg

Sep 5, 2012
    My beautiful black australorp HEN is now officially a ROO, I was in denial although all the signs were there. Today....non stop crowing. So now what? I am new to chickens. And we can't keep a ROO. Any suggesitions on rehoming?

2. iluvpeeps

iluvpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    Call an animal shelter or ask a farm if they need a rooster. If you have no other options set it out in the wild.

3. dusky

dusky Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Setting it in the wild is the worst suggestion possible, I hope you're joking.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    craiglist put an ad for $5 or free to good home

5. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Just a word of caution that most people who pick up roosters on craigslist use them for the crockpot or worse fighting. Also, dumping it in the wild is worst advice. Chickens need food and water as they are domesticated and will not survive. Might as well do it yourself and save the rooster the stress it will endure.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    releasing it into the wild has to be the worst advice i have seen on here [​IMG] you can not just simply release the bird for it doesn't know how to defend itself from predators.

use craigslist and if you have to get rid of him asap then you might have to just use him for chicken and dumplings .

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My local feed store takes roos and sells them for $5 (they keep the money) as a service to people looking to get rid of roosters. They keep them out front in cages.

I have given them roos before and I think they might have a fair shot at a good home that way as kids come through with parents looking.

8. ChickenFootRnch

ChickenFootRnch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    East TN
    Do not turn him out into the wild, that would be cruel. Find him a home or someone who will dispatch him humanely.

9. redheadrenae

redheadrenae New Egg

Sep 5, 2012
    Thanks for the help NO RELEASING to the "wild". Cant imagine that is good for anyone. In my area I have been warned that Craigslist ROOS can be used for cockfighting so I will avoid that.
    I will look into the FEED store and shelter. I guess I have a last resort. So sad. He is the most beautiful chicken ever. (

10. themadchicken

themadchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2012
    Lehi Utah
    Sneak him into someone else's flock.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by