Black australorp

bdb013

Hatching
Jan 19, 2016
I am just getting started with my back yard coop and chickens. I bought some young chickens. I asked for 1 rooster and 4 hens. They said these were 8 weeks old. After looking at posts, I'm not even sure Black australorps are what I have. Can anyone tell me. or give me their opinion on hen or rooster.

They are definitely not Black Australorps. It's difficult to tell with the lighting in the pic whether the legs are white as they appear to me to be or whether they are yellow. If the legs are white you have Cuckoo Marans. If the legs are yellow you have Barred Rocks. The lighting is washed out and they are still very young at this point, but given the comb development at 8 weeks I'm leaning toward cockerels on the three on the right and pullets on the two on the left. I would suggest posting their pics again in about a month. By then their gender should be obvious.

Last edited:
I am just getting started with my back yard coop and chickens. I bought some young chickens. I asked for 1 rooster and 4 hens. They said these were 8 weeks old. After looking at posts, I'm not even sure Black australorps are what I have. Can anyone tell me. or give me their opinion on hen or rooster.

Black Australorps are solid black. Your birds are barred/cuckoo. Can you post some better quality pics in natural light without a flash?

Legs are white to grey looking. But I thought I read that australorps had silver tips on their feathers until they get about laying age.

Australorps sometimes have a few feathers with a tiny bit of white on the edge of the feather when they are under 8 weeks old, and they might have a few solid white primary wing feathers. They do not have white striping on every single feather. That is barring.

They are definitely not Black Australorps. It's difficult to tell with the lighting in the pic whether the legs are white as they appear to me to be or whether they are yellow. If the legs are white you have Cuckoo Marans. If the legs are yellow you have Barred Rocks. The lighting is washed out and they are still very young at this point, but given the comb development at 8 weeks I'm leaning toward cockerels on the three on the right and pullets on the two on the left. I would suggest posting their pics again in about a month. By then their gender should be obvious.
Agreed

x3

I would certainly let the seller know, that he did not sell you Black australorps. I think you deserve a refund. I wouldn't blame him for the mixup with gender, that can happen with chicks sold at an early age.

Here a couple better picks, I'm leaning the three on the left are roos and 2 on the right are hens. Also thinking Marans over barred rocks. What do you think.

Back
Top Bottom