Black Australorp?

You'll like the sex links. My daughter had one that was her favorite chicken. She was so friendly, and allowed 3 yr old granddaughter to carry her around everywhere. That little hen never missed a day of laying.

You'll like the sex links. My daughter had one that was her favorite chicken. She was so friendly, and allowed 3 yr old granddaughter to carry her around everywhere. That little hen never missed a day of laying.
I am sure, the ones we have are great little girls, but seem aggressive towards the smaller Australorp's. They even challenge the cockerel! They are so much bigger too.
My husband is upset because he wanted Australorp chicks.

My first chickens were Black Sex-links. They were friendly and make good layers. They won't breed true But your Australorp trio will and you can always replace the Sex-links with pullets produced from the Australorps if you want a purebred flock. :)

Ok thanks, I will check them when I go out. Is there any way to avoid this short of breeding them yourself?
no, not really. sometimes the chickens just get inadvertently mixed in the bins so its tough to tell with the ones that are the "same" color when theyre little, and apparently at least the BA and JG mix up happens fairly "often"

Ok thanks, I will check them when I go out. Is there any way to avoid this short of breeding them yourself?
I have always picked mine up at the hatchery, since we are within driving distance of 3 of them. And there's a hatchery that conducts weekly 'chick days' sales at local feed stores. They bring an assortment, but also take orders in advance. They set up for half a day at each location, and people crowd in to get various breeds.
Or you can order from a hatchery and have them sent by mail....

Last edited:
Agree with the rest. Check the bottoms of your australorps feet. I got sent some black jersey giants with my batch of australorps from the hatchery and the only way to tell is the bottom of the feet color. Australorps will be pink, and jersey giants will be yellow/orangish color. Its very distinct.
Ok feet pictures.
1st is the black Australorp
2nd is the sex link

Attachments

• 15579388536606521983051355656869.jpg
    15579388536606521983051355656869.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 15579389358454226677539206053604.jpg
    15579389358454226677539206053604.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom