black australorp

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by blueheaven, Apr 27, 2009.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    my black australorp pullets have a lot of white on them. they are 1 week old. is this normal?

2. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I think so.

The ones I got from MMM have white chests. The two adult hens I have that are mixes of Black Aust had white chests as chicks but now have the black/laced w/white chests

3. LadyShred

LadyShred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Alabama
    Australops can have white on their chests, face, bellies, wings, etc. When their adult feathers start coming in, the white (and the black) baby down will fall off and they should be solid black. We had an australop hen and she had purple and green reflections in her plumage. Don't know if that's normal or not, but she was gorgeous in the sunlight.

4. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Look at the chicks on feathersite.com for comparison. My black australorps had white tummies and bums until they feathered out. They still have a couple white feathers under their wings that I have read will grow out as the mature. Mine are 8 weeks and 10 weeks.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Lorps/BRKLorps.html
    The chicks are at the bottom of the page.

5. Yontz710

Yontz710 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    I just received 7 with my order from McMurray today. And mine are black with yellowish bellies. To cute, also have auracana's, speckled sussex and partridge rocks. They are the nicest looking chicks I have seen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by