Black Australorpe won't lay :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Grandhen7, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Grandhen7

Grandhen7 New Egg

Oct 15, 2016
    Hello, everyone! This site has been very helpful to our family as we begin our adventures in chicken keeping. We have five hens, all different breeds, all six months old. Three of the five have been laying for early two months. Of the other two, one is a cochin, which I know is not a prolific layer, so I have no expectations of her. But the other non-layer is a black Australorpe, which I understood to be THE MOST prolific layer of all breeds. Is this breed known to be slow to mature? We have two nesting boxes, which the other girls use consistently. I have even searched the yard (as much as possible given that much of their range is wooded) to see if she has decided to hide her eggs. Is there anything I can do to determine if she has been laying? She has a very red comb. But unlike the three that do lay, she does not "squat" when we approach to pet her. Anyone have any insight or suggestions? Thank you in advance!

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Hi. Can u post a pic of her? Lock them up in the run and coop and then you will know if she's laying. A bright comb often indicates laying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by