Black-breasted Red Orloffs?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by briesberrypatch, Jul 18, 2010.

1. briesberrypatch

briesberrypatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2008
    Yellow Springs, OH
    Feathersite has pictures of Black-breasted Red Orloff from Desert Poultry, but the Desert Poultry website is abandoned. I'm wondering if there's anyone in the US with this variety?

2. TomNY

TomNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    I dislike Orloffs that look like Ameraucana- Speckled Sussex crosses. I put a BBR Malay cock over Orloff hens. It's too soon to know but some may survive the culling for type. This year none will be culled for color so some BBRs may make it. Tom

3. briesberrypatch

briesberrypatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2008
    Yellow Springs, OH
    So is your goal to re-develop the BBR Orloff using the Malay?

4. TomNY

TomNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Quote:Not really. I have seen very few Orloffs that meet the old ASOP standard for Russians. I had a chance to get a Malay cock that I thought could improve Orloff type so I bought him and looked for hens. I won't use him on my Malays so I'm done with him. If I'm happy with any of the F1s I'll put a stag over the Orloff hens and maybe over the best two pullets. Type first, but if I continue I'll breed towards spangles. Tom

I've had a chance to look them over better. There may be a few project birds to share. T.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by