Black chick with white dot on head?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jossy J, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Jossy J

Jossy J Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    We went to a poultry sale on the weekend with intentions of buying a couple of banty hens. There was a man selling chicks in the rain on this cold, windy day and the chicks looked sad. We ended up buying 3....The seller claimed they were all banty hens?? [​IMG]

One is very small, black, fluffy, no feathers on legs / feet, brown legs, yellow bill, small but getting bigger white dot on the back of his head. Any ideas what he/she is??

Thank you.

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Barred Rock maybe?

3. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    Yep. Barred Rock or BR Bantam would be my first guess.

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Here's my BR, does he look like this?

[​IMG]

i always find myself buying the neglected ones...

5. Jossy J

Jossy J Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Thanks for the responses. I'd really like her to be a BR because we don't have one of those. I need to learn how to take and post pictures because it would be a lot easier to identify them.

He / she does look very much like byrdluv's chick only much younger. She (we are hoping) doesn't yet have a comb nor adult feathers and is completely black except for the white dot.

I also bought two other mystery chicks..I'll have to post a picture to find out what they are as well.

And I was only supposed to buy a 'couple' of hens..funny, chickens are addicting! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Scoot58

Scoot58 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Carver MA
    She looks like a Black sex link male. Combo of Bared rock and Rhode Island red (I think)

7. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    to upload images, look at the top blue bar it will say uploads, click on it to upload your image then copy the code it gives you and paste that into your message... hope to see some images..[​IMG]

8. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an RIR rooster and 2 BR hens. One of the BR hens is broody and I set 4 of Pepper's eggs and 4 of Buntys eggs. Bunty is my RIR pullet.

9. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:They do look similar. But female Barred Rocks tend to have smaller dots than the males.

Male Black sex-links tend to have some red in them.

10. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Quote:My BR's are not feathering yet, and you can't see the barring, but the white spot on the head sounds like a BR cockerel to me. Are the fronts of the legs black?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by