Black chickens with black feathered feet- whats the breed?

maddoj

Hatching
Apr 9, 2023
Hello,

Hoping someone can shed some light on this mystery. I have (3) eight week old pullets that I have raised since they were two days old. I got them from a reputable place, where I was told they were black pearl star leghorns. I didn't question this much until I started researching the breed, only to find out that there is almost nothing on the internet about a black pearl star (lots of pictures and information on pearl stars but none of the picutures or descriptions matched my chicks). All three pullets had identical markings as chicks.
IMG-4102.jpg
here is a piture of one at less than a week old (the chicks were raised by a broody orpington hen of mine, which worked out great).

Fast forward to now; the little pullets are thriving and have been accepted by our flock (thanks to their awesome adapted mother). Thats when I started noticing other characteristics about them.
image_50439425.JPG
image_50461953.JPG
All three have black black feet and black feathers on one foot and all three have a small, white marking on the tip of their wings.

But here's where it gets weird. One of the (3) pullets has black eyes.

If you look at two of the birds in the sunlight you can see the bird on the left has black eyes; when I look close up I can see the pupil but it blends in almost completely with the sclera, making the eyes look solid black. The other two chickens have typical orange eyes (sclera) with black pupils (one is pictured here on the right.

image_50732801.JPG
image_50745857.JPG

The other difference that is starting to unfold. The chicken with the black eyes is solid black, while the other two are starting to develop some goldend neck feathers.
image_50446849 (1).JPG

I'm really hoping someone has some ideas about what breed these are (the store where I got them says they are sure they are black pearl star leghorns). Also, Im curious/concerned about the black eyed bird; could this be a genetic trait due to a recesive gene or worse, is it a sign of illness or disease? For the record, all 3 pullets are very healthy looking and active but we all know that they can hide injury and illness very well.

Thanks for listening and looking forward to replies...

Cheers,
Jeanne

Think they might have accidentally included 'leghorn' in the Black Star description. Black stars are a sex-linked production breed- because these have feathered legs they could be yet another production breed called Mystic Marans. Like a leghorn they'll lay a ton of eggs- but brown instead of white. The solid black pullets you have with black eyes likely has a lot of Austrolorp in her- Black Stars/Mystic Marans are meant to have orange eyes with copper necks- but since Austrolorps are great layers of brown eggs as well- you're still in great shape.

Plus your birds are going to be a lot calmer that any leghorn- so there's another bonus!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom