black combs?

birdlover

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Northern Va.
Hi,
I didn't post this in emergencies/diseases because I don't think the problem falls under those categories. Anyway, I have a flock of 8 production reds, about 1 1/2 years old. I've had them since the end of August. Today, I noticed a few of them have black smudges on their combs. I've read about dry pox and the description doesn't fit (white, wart like nodules followed by scabbing). It can't be frost bite yet as we haven't had a frost although the temps have gotten down to the 40's a couple of times. No, they just look like black smudges from ashes or something. Any idea what it could be? Thanks!

I have an Austrolorpe that is about 4 months old with a solid black comb. Not sure if it supposed to turn red or not. Maybe she isnt even an Austrolorpe. I will try and post a pic.

smile.png

No, they aren't scabs. More like bruises if I had to put a name to it. Oh well. Maybe it's nothing. I did have a naked neck once whose neck would change color when she got excited. Maybe it's something like that? Just as long as it's nothing to worry about. Thanks for your replies, guys.

I am kinda curious about this also. My BO's (about half anyway) have black patches also (spots). No it is not frostbite. I was feeding them chick starter until monday when I switched to layer crumbs. ACV in water, free range every afternoon and all days on weekend. Any guess's?
idunno.gif

She doesn't look like a production red, are you sure its not a production black-black stars?
I have a few chickens with black combs, they were born with them.
They are black copper marans, some have orange combs some had black.
Is this something she always had or it just change color? It could be genetics, or maturity.

My birds eat layer crumble, dandelion greens, apples and a little scratch. They live in a huge pen with lots of sunshine and fresh air and an upstairs "apartment" for laying or getting out of the bad weather. The combs seem to have cleared up some. Good luck with yours!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom