Black Copper Maran is sick-need help-lotsa pics

chicks4kids

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Northern Indiana
I have a Black Copper Maran roo who is causing some concern--here are his stats:

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Black Copper Maran roo 20 weeks old and he weights 4 lbs and 1 half ounce.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Stays to himself at night, has bumps around his eyes, comb has black spots, now has a runny nose, doesn't exhibit roo behavior at all, and his face seems pale and his comb is lopped over to one side (don't know if it's supposed to be like that)
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? a couple of weeks, just started having a runny nose
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I can't think of anything. I bought him and 2 other BSM's from a guy when they were a day old and the others are fine
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. He is eating and drinking just fine. He is eating a grower crumble and scratch (very little). They also get table scraps but he doesn't try very hard to get those.
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. His poop is solid for the majority of a 24 hour period, then once or twice it is runnier (not diarrhea) with a red tint but doesn't appear to be blood
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I have him on Terramycin eye ointment and Duramycin antibiotic
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? My intent is to treat this boy myself. None of the vets in the area work on chickens.
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use He is housed with other birds in a 12x12 area with aspen bedding bought from TSC and ACE. It is cleaned regularly. They free range during the day where he generally stays close to the coop or inside the 12x24 run that is attached to the coop. He doesn't go near the other hens and pretty much stays to himself. Only just today did I hear what may have been a rooster sound. Right now I have him isolated in the garage with medicated water and eye ointment. I gave him a scrambled egg today and he ate it all. His runny nose just started yesterday. Here's the pics:

DSC07048.jpg

DSC07040.jpg

DSC07038.jpg

DSC07050.jpg

There are several respiratory illnesses that exhibit similar symptoms. A common one is Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. Here's a link to the Merck Vet Manual so you can read up on the disease and it also mentions other diseases with similar symptoms: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/203402.htm

IF
it is MG, it is considered a "chronic" respiratory disease - meaning it doesn't go away. Even if a bird improves and no longer shows gross symptoms, they can be carriers and possibly infect any other birds they come in contact with. If you are breeding to sell chicks or eggs or if you wish to show your birds, you should cull this rooster from the flock so that you don't spread this disease beyond your own flock.

If this rooster is a pet and you wish to treat him, Merck says: "Most strains of M gallisepticum are sensitive to a number of antibiotics, such as chlortetracycline, erythromycin, oxytetracycline, spectinomycin, tiamulin, tylosin, or a fluoroquinolone such as enrofloxacin...Antibiotics may alleviate the clinical signs and lesions but do not eliminate infection.

Also, MG can be spread by you, too. If you have friends with chickens, do not go near their birds unless you have on clean shoes, clothes, and freshly washed hands.

Back
Top Bottom