Black Copper Maran over Black Americuna, results in White Chick

Compost King

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
Salisbury, North Carolina
I am ignorant on Genetics, pretty much just have Chickens for eggs and compost. However I started breeding chickens for fun. I am sure no one but myself is shocked by this cross and result But I wanted to share it.
DSCN1964.JPG DSCN1953.JPG
The first picture is mother and father, the 2nd picture is the chick. I assume its because black is a dominant gene and carries all sorts of recessive color traits. I also probably do not have pure bred chickens here although the Black Copper Maran came from trustworthy people however the Americuna came from people who lied about every bird they sold.

The father throws dark brown eggs, the mother lays a large deep blue egg. What are the chances I am creating Olive Eggers?

I'm not sure that is possible. Are you sure of the hen/cockerel and which egg this chick hatched from? Both Americana and BCM are black as chicks and white is usually a dominant color. Of course other colors like Buff and some darker colored birds hatch out yellowish. If this chick had an Americana mother, it should have puffy cheeks.

I was hatching homemade black sex links (which are supposed to be black, with the males having a dot on their heads) and I got a yellow chick hatch. The egg came from my main flock.

The cross you are trying is a common one for creating olive eggers (dark brown egg layer over blue egg layer).

It is definitely the mother 100% due to the fact that its my only blue egg layer currently. The chances of it being another father is very slim, the only other fertile roosters are bantams and did not have access, and the chick came out as one of the largest in the incubator. I suppose it is possible that the Red Pyle OEGB flew in over an 8 foot fence and bred with the female and then flew out. Yes they can fly that high and often do. However he is terrified of the older and larger BCM roo. Also the Female tends to reject bantam roosters when she was in the general free range flock.

I too am making Black Sex Links in this hatch, the Majority of chicks are BCM over Cuckoo Marans. The Black Americuna was thrown into the breeding flock since The pen was quite large for the amount of chickens in it and I could easily Identify her egg from the Cuckoo Marans.

The white chick does have some black spots, I will take better pictures after it acclimates to the brooder. Another with the same parents hatched out solid black. I will take pictures together to compare. if any others hatch out I will keep tabs on all of them. One more is pipping... the rest do not seem to want to hatch but they developed. I believe I had a total of 10 that made it to lockdown.

Its nice to know that both of those Parent chickens have the Recessive White trait. Makes me wonder if the Black Copper Maran is not a Pure Black Copper Maran. I am assuming that is the case, not that I care as long as he throws dark eggs to his daughters.

I am attempting to make Olive Eggers out of this batch and a few other batches. I have a Cuckoo potential Olive Egger from the hatch before where a Cuckoo Maran Rooster (as seen in my avatar) was over the Black Americuna shortly before he died . Although he didn't throw very dark eggs just slightly darker than the typical brown egger. After I see the results of the egg color I might study up, tinker around and see if I can make a stable Olive Egg breed. I would love to make one that can be sexed right after hatching without a vent inspection. I dream big... but as long as I make Compost I make money so I have plenty of room to fail.

White with some black spots changes everything. Recessive white wouldn't show any black spots.
Dominate white will if there's only on copy of it.
Your red Pyle OE Is dominate white. Now I'm saying he is indeed.the father.

I agree that If the mom was truly an Ameraucana, then the chick would have puffy cheeks. I suppose the beard could develop over time, but the cheeks really should already be puffy. Mom is probably an olive egger rather than an Ameraucana. (This is supposedly a common mistake, so the source for your Ameraucana may not have intentionally lied to you. They just might not know any better.) If she were truly an Ameraucana, she would have two copies of the beard gene AND two copies of the blue egg gene. A cross with a BCM would yield chicks with one copy of the beard gene and one copy of the blue egg gene--yielding an olive egger with a beard. If your mama hen is an olive-egger instead of an Ameraucana she probably has only one copy of the dominant blue egg gene. Assuming the dad is the BCM then your chick has a 50/50 chance of being an olive egger/brown egger. If the dad is your OEBC, then the chick has a 50/50 chance for blue egger/white egger. They would be a little tinted, but not a lot since OEBC lay "cream" eggs rather than white. The blue would be more like a blue-green. The chick looks more like a OEBC chick, so I am betting on the OEBC sire. Even though the OEBC is afraid of the BCM, it looks like he braved it. Sex is a strong motivator!

Last edited:
DSCN2005.JPG
There are the black markings. I have my doubts that his/her father is an OEGB because this is the largest chick in the brooder right now. When he grows out I may find that he is half bantam half full sized... which is great because thats my preferred size birds. he eggs are just big enough and they forage so much better than full size birds. I should probably he open to the idea that a neighbors rooster came over for an affair. DSCN2012.JPG
This is a picture of the other Blue egg I hatched out, same mother definitely. Fathering in question now lol.

Back
Top Bottom