Black Copper Maran personality?

Ellie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
Redding, Ca.
I am getting some bc Maran hatching eggs for my broody. I have never had them before and would like to know about them. If I happen to get a rooster out of this, what has been your experience with them?

These are from the Wade Jean line.

I have searched Google and BYC and have been reading, but I guess I am so excited about getting a new breed that I just want to hear from others here
wee.gif

Thanks,

Last edited:
I have several Marans roos. They are all as sweet as can be. In general they are good with thier hens protective, share thier food, not aggressive toward people etc. Most of the older ones will even let the hens eat first. I have held them alot since they were little so they stay very tame.

My lead roo even lets some of the other lower ranking roos eat first and he makes sure they are all in the coop at night (he will round them all up..hens and roos and chase them inside if they linger too long at dusk) and he stands outside the coop until it gets dark. Once it is dark, he sits in the doorway and guards it until I come and shut the door. If he sees danger like a hawk flying around the run etc. he sounds an alarm and makes the others run into the coop.
Its funny, I have a golden cuckoo younger roo in an adjecent pen, who takes lessons from the lead roo in the other pen. He copies every single thing the lead roo does, the other night he rounded up the other chickens in his own pen into the coop at dusk and stood guard right after intently watching the other lead roo do it lol. If he sees the lead roo try to mate a hen , then he will do it. He watched the lead roo scratch and cluck and call his girls over so the golden cuckoo roo did the same. It is pretty funny to watch.

I have a blue copper Marans rooster hatched from Whitmore Farms eggs and he is the greatest of roos. He is so large that he can't get on his roosting board with his girls at night so I go in and pick him up and place him there. He anxiously awaits me every night as I come up the hill from the barn.
I get a lot of people coming to my farm and they all are amazed at how sweet that Marans pen is. The girls are from several different bloodlines but that roo always catches people's eye because he is large and gorgeous. And when I go in the pen he comes up to me to be petted. He is such a very good boy even during spring.
I have several of his sons around the farm and they are just as nice even from other hens with bloodlines like Wade Jean, Bev Davis, Ray Valentine and others. I had culled many roos from those other lines before I kept this terrific boy.

Good luck with your Marans. I have them in Black Copper, Blue Copper, Splash, Golden Cuckoo, Black Cuckoo and wheaten. They can be a wonderful breed to keep as pets.

Hi,
They are sweet, I have Black Coppers and Wheaton Marans and they do go through a crazy time where they think we are out to hurt them. But one day you come out and they are your best friends. I have three lines and all of them are very nice. Ive only once have one of my rooster go after another rooster but never us.
They are great birds.

Our 8 month old bcm rooster is going through a teenage aggressive phase - we hope. He has recently started trying to sneak up on DH, and won't tolerate DD11 at all. He is wary of me because I'll pick him up and hold him. He takes his duties very seriously, and has a hilarious set of behaviors toward his 10 hens. We are waiting and watching, hoping he doesn't continue being aggressive. Flgardengirl, did your bcm roo go through this phase, or was he always sweet?

Thank you all so much for the information. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for: folks who have these birds and can tell me what they are like.

Nadine, I love that your roo waits for you to pick him up and put him on the roost. I just lowered my roosts not too long ago because one hen hurt her leg jumping down, or so it seemed.

Gardengirl, your roo sounds awesome! I would love one like that.

Seems with only one exception so far that they are tame and easy going. I typically get hens and no roos so here's hoping I get a rooster this time. I did have two roosters. My first orpington rooster died early on from an unknown reason, the second was culled because he, a barred rock was too aggressive toward everyone but me.

I have a black orpington mama who will raise these babies. She is sweet, but big and imposing, lol.

Last edited:
thespinningcottage: My lead roo has never gone through the terrible teens stage lol but that is rare. Most of my roos, marans and other breeds will go through a stage where they are a little confused. I think they must get a bunch of testosterone going and start feeling territorial, protective, and amorous all at once. Someone on byc once described it as "testosterone poisoning" I thought that was hilarious.
People have different methods of dealing with thier roos. I pick mine up and hold them, pet them, let them know I am the boss. If I set them down and they challenge me in any way, they get picked up again etc. If they come at me I always stand my ground even if I am scared to death. If they insist on following me, I will follow them around until they run away. I am no expert on roo taming..this is just what has worked for me through trial and error. All of my roos who went through the terrible teens have calmed down and grown out of it including my split blk/lav Orpington who bit me for 2 weeks straight lol. The Marans roos' personalities seem mild compared to alot of other breeds.

Back
Top Bottom