Black Copper Marans discussion thread

the only stupid question is the one that is never asked!

I am not an expert, I hope someone who knows it will give you the answer.

I plan to breed bcm roo with different breeds. but I will hatch the eggs separately (marans eggs will be pure, blue/green eggs will be oe, NN's eggs will be dark layer NNs, etc).

Ameraucanas, not Easter Eggers, make olive eggers. EEs can have a blue and brown gene, so mating them to a brown egg layer can produce offspring that lay brown eggs. I have EE hens with an EE rooster, and about 20% of those offspring will lay light brown eggs, because the rooster and at least one of the hens are carrying blue and brown or white genes You need the double blue of an Ameraucana against the dark brown of the BCM to make olive eggers

here are photos of some of my breeders hens and they progeny pullets.

the rooster is Darwin and the last pullet with green leg tag is his sister. all the other young pullets are this year winter hatch. The hens are this year breeders. all with coppery huckels and pure black body . A lot need to be done.

Ameraucanas, not Easter Eggers, make olive eggers. EEs can have a blue and brown gene, so mating them to a brown egg layer can produce offspring that lay brown eggs. I have EE hens with an EE rooster, and about 20% of those offspring will lay light brown eggs, because the rooster and at least one of the hens are carrying blue and brown or white genes You need the double blue of an Ameraucana against the dark brown of the BCM to make olive eggers

what will I get by crossing bcm roo with true araucana? I hope oe.

Speaking of olive eggers. I have a young one that I've been waiting very impatiently to start laying. Her mother and grandmother were marans crosses with a little brahma in them that laid the darkest eggs I'd ever seen (darker than my pure Marans). Her father was a lavender ameraucana so I've been waiting impatiently and expecting an awesome olive egg. She was in the nest box today and I pulled a small pullet egg out from under her and it was very light brown :/ there's no possible way that could be her egg right? I do have another young pullet that is near point of lay also, I just haven't seen her in the box. I'm hoping that this was a coincidence and she just didn't start laying yet. Maybe she was practicing and my other pullet laid that egg?

@thick chick , here's a picture of one of the young black copper males I kept from my hatch. He's 5 wks old. I'll only use him to get OE's and I really just need a good Rooster for my flock. You can see some white specks on his breast and the white wing feather you asked about. Feathers and fluff are giving away to more copper/black each day it seems. The brooder light makes it look like he has more lighter colored feathers than he actually does, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Speaking of olive eggers. I have a young one that I've been waiting very impatiently to start laying. Her mother and grandmother were marans crosses with a little brahma in them that laid the darkest eggs I'd ever seen (darker than my pure Marans). Her father was a lavender ameraucana so I've been waiting impatiently and expecting an awesome olive egg. She was in the nest box today and I pulled a small pullet egg out from under her and it was very light brown
hmm.png
there's no possible way that could be her egg right? I do have another young pullet that is near point of lay also, I just haven't seen her in the box. I'm hoping that this was a coincidence and she just didn't start laying yet. Maybe she was practicing and my other pullet laid that egg?

I saw my araucana in the nest so many times and the only new pullet's egg is pinkish/purple. I got worried too but it turned out to be my NN's egg!

Hi there. you have one gorgeous Rooster there.nice type ,long tilted back,feathered legs ,nice tail ,good mass and nice head.Good rooster to work with he ll through nice progeny.
I need a shot of his head so I can see a close up of his comb ( I can t tell from the picture) and his ear down( the ear down colour will tell you what color his progeny will have) if his ears tuff color is a same as his huckel ( copper ) his progeny pullets will have nice coppery huckeles. if his ears tuff is darker toward a black than his progeny will more black no much huckels.
look close on his chest if he ve got some copper ( no much about 10%) or his chest is all black.
I like him a lot. you can send his to me if you don t want him.
take some photos of the girls too individuel photos so can evaluate them to and see witch hen is a good much for him.

all the best.

my first marans eggs
yippiechickie.gif

I was dissapointed with the first one (on the left) but the second one is much better. they are a bit darker than in the pic.

here is my girl who laid them:

Back
Top Bottom