Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I have never used one.  Do you recommend this over your others?  Ease, success?

Yes the octagon is by far the easiest to use although setting the temp can be a little more difficult since it's manual. It is much more dependable. I also purchased the turner which was expensive but worth it since I have a busy schedule and can't always be home to turn the eggs. You pretty much set it and with the turner all you have to do is add water at appropriate times. :)

I have never used one.  Do you recommend this over your others?  Ease, success?

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Incubators-and-accessories/Octagon-20-Eco-Incubator-p666.aspx
Mypetchicken sells the Eco with the turner for less than $300. That's a good deal for this incubator, it only hold approx 22 eggs per hatch, but you can hatch back to back with ease.

If this 17 y/o newbie can get 90% hatch rates so can you.

It took me about 9 hours to dial in the temp, you just adjust the dial a tiny bit at a time. Mine was at 102* F right out of the box, so it didn't take much dialing to bring it down.

Thank you all so much! So great to get help with these things. Ill watch to contribute back where i can.

Wish me luck with this hatch. Expensive eggs so i hope not lost.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

I keep getting all males.

I have purchased very expensive eggs with cottage hill lines. Of all the eggs, all of the dozen which hatched- were male. I'm like !##@$@#$ over here. Does anyone know if hatching conditions can influence the gender of the chick in any way? Obviously this sounds...insane at best. However, I have had **** luck literally every time with everyone being males. I am working on my method and these crappy brinsea ecoglows were all at the wrong set point temp. wise (e.g., digital reading was a few points off).

Anyways I keep thinking back to this one time watching national geographic and the episode was about how alligator babies have gender determined by the temperature.
Anyone have thoughts on this? The probability of what I'm getting seems unlikely.

If this 4 week old French Wheaten Maran a Roo or Hen?

I have purchased very expensive eggs with cottage hill lines. Of all the eggs, all of the dozen which hatched- were male. I'm like !##@$@#$ over here. Does anyone know if hatching conditions can influence the gender of the chick in any way? Obviously this sounds...insane at best. However, I have had **** luck literally every time with everyone being males. I am working on my method and these crappy brinsea ecoglows were all at the wrong set point temp. wise (e.g., digital reading was a few points off). 

Anyways I keep thinking back to this one time watching national geographic and the episode was about how alligator babies have gender determined by the temperature. 
Anyone have thoughts on this? The probability of what I'm getting seems unlikely.

I've heard that having your temp a little high is supposed to prevent boys from hatching but they are already developed by then. Seems wrong. Other then that I've always been told temp doesn't effect the gender. We got delta a sh*t hand this year ourselves totaling almost 20 roosters altogether. It's a mess over here but we are making the best of it.. :(

I have purchased very expensive eggs with cottage hill lines. Of all the eggs, all of the dozen which hatched- were male. I'm like !##@$@#$ over here. Does anyone know if hatching conditions can influence the gender of the chick in any way? Obviously this sounds...insane at best. However, I have had **** luck literally every time with everyone being males. I am working on my method and these crappy brinsea ecoglows were all at the wrong set point temp. wise (e.g., digital reading was a few points off). 

Wow, all males thats crazy. I'm not sure what would cause that in chickens. But like you said tempature control in reptiles will effect gender. And the diet fed to a peahen will effect the sex of the chicks. So I'm sure the same applies to chickens. I just don't know what exactly causes it in chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom