Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I have one chick that has really short wing feathers on left side anyone ever seen this? Will the feathers always be short on that side?

[/IMG]
Never saw that before. You could grow it out o see if it corrects itself, but do you want to take the change it will produce more like that? I guess I'm saying, with the problems we have already, do you want to start on another? I know its difficult when starting out, you have so few chicks you don't want to cull down to very few, but eventually, you will have more to choose from so it won't "hurt" so much to make those decisions.

I have the opportunity to get BCM hatching eggs from a very nice line. I love the color of the eggs, but I really do not know anything about the breed. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons. I currently have a mixed large fowl flock of ten pullets and would add these to it once they are old enough. Are Marans friendly to people and other chickens? Are they noisy? Are they good layers? My flock is confined to their run when I am at work, move to a much larger fenced covered area when I am home and free range in the late afternoon/evening when I am out doors. Our winters are mild with only a hand full of days below freezing and the summers are hot and humid. Does this sound like a good fit for Marans?

Never saw that before. You could grow it out o see if it corrects itself, but do you want to take the change it will produce more like that? I guess I'm saying, with the problems we have already, do you want to start on another? I know its difficult when starting out, you have so few chicks you don't want to cull down to very few, but eventually, you will have more to choose from so it won't "hurt" so much to make those decisions.

It's fine that's my lil buddy our marans are pets and we just want eggs and fert for our garden.. We can't have roosters where we live so no breeding going on. Was just curious if any seen this anomaly ..

Hey Don, you mentioned I think in the Marans thread that you had hatched some BCM and were pretty sure they were all junk. How can you tell that at hatching? Only thing I can think of is no leg feathers or lots of middle toe feathers or possibly too black looking, not the penguin look?? So far my most hopefull cross is producing too much chest colour in the boys, too early for my inexperienced eye to tell much else yet...........

Hi, Zanna! I'm not don, but the birds that'll have too much color hatch with brown fluff rather than the very black fluff.

Hi, Zanna! I'm not don, but the birds that'll have too much color hatch with brown fluff rather than the very black fluff.
Hi Wynette! Ah, thank you, that's an easy one! Still will get you the info on the knee replacement surgery, honestly, just needed some time to forget about it! DH is doing amazingly well but it was a tough go....

I have the opportunity to get BCM hatching eggs from a very nice line. I love the color of the eggs, but I really do not know anything about the breed. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons. I currently have a mixed large fowl flock of ten pullets and would add these to it once they are old enough. Are Marans friendly to people and other chickens? Are they noisy? Are they good layers? My flock is confined to their run when I am at work, move to a much larger fenced covered area when I am home and free range in the late afternoon/evening when I am out doors. Our winters are mild with only a hand full of days below freezing and the summers are hot and humid. Does this sound like a good fit for Marans?

I find the Marans to be very easy to get along with and social. Good with humans and the other birds. I wouldn't describe them as "quiet" birds but I also can't accuse them of being noisy. I have found them to handle extremes of both hot and cold well although their combs are susceptible to frost bite. As big birds, they are big eaters but I also find them to be productive. Mine are very good layers. A very good dual purpose breed. They also provide a decent family meal within a few months.

Does anyone know a source for pure Bev Davis line Black Copper Marans hatching eggs? Aside from Bev herself? If so could you PM me? I am a very serious buyer if there are some out there....

Does anyone know a source for pure Bev Davis line Black Copper Marans hatching eggs? Aside from Bev herself? If so could you PM me? I am a very serious buyer if there are some out there....

The only way to be sure you are getting "pure Bev Davis" hatching eggs is to get them from Bev Davis herself because even one generation removed, Bev is no longer making the decisions.

Back
Top Bottom