Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I have one BCM hen and a rooster. The rooster is great (he's on my profile pic, center), but my hen is not laying the famous dark chocolate maran eggs. Any idea why this is?

Her shape ie type and color are very appealing. I am still learning but her legs ie "shanks" are nice ie appear to conform closely to the standards for what a Marans 'should' look like. Her back is flat, tail appears to be carried at about the right angle and I like her round breast. It might just be this picture but those are my impressions after looking at her pics. I am a little worried she might have crow head but that's hard to tell at this point.

I don't know what Sue's question actually is but this fan says the splash and lacing are ALWAYS appealing
wink.png

my understanding is all blue birds should have the lacing. I think that is one reason some don't use blacks from blue breedings....they are genetically different. I am sure there are other genetic differences too...I don't know what else.

thanks for the feed back. Fortunately so so is an improvement over my other roo. I have a davis line hen that has that beefier look to her and I am hoping she will help me out some with body type. She has no copper on her hackles so I am curious to see what the chicks turn out like. I thought his tail angle was a little off.

I would like more opinions on the use of bcm chicks from black copper roo blue copper hen breeding when your goal is working toward sop.

Back
Top Bottom