Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I just recently purchased two chicks from a breeder who had Bev Davis lines (I believe that's what she said). Anyways, I am almost positive that both are males. *sigh* Thoughts? They are around 1 month old.

One on left looks like a boy. Hard to tell on other one but all my BCM are Bev Davis lines to and girls had dark combs at that age. But Im no expert so wait for others to say what they think.

Can I please get opinions. I am just starting out with BCM's and I have access to either the regular BCM, rooster is show quality or French BCM. somehow someone here was able to get eggs through customs years ago from France.

I think if you have access to a 'show quality' BCMs, you should get it. If the imported bird has qualities you would like to add to your flock, ie. darker egg color, size, ect, than add that one. It really depends on what you need to add to what you already have. Pictures are very helpful. If you post pictures of both cockerels in question, there are a lot of knowledgable people on this website that can help you critique them

A common misconception is that FBCMs have feathered shanks and BCMs do not. According to the American Standard, BCMs must have feathered shanks.

T
They do actually quite well in northern climates. I'm in Michigan just South of Flint. Haven't had a problem yet. You need to have coops with good ventilation so condensation doesn't build up. They can get frost bite on combs and wattles. Monitor them. But they are no different than other breeds but the males can get pretty large combs. I hate seeing picture of people's males with combs frost bitten combs. Makes me mad. Other consideration is raising young chicks during winter time. Very difficult up north. You will be fine, just monitor them daily. If combs and wattles start to turn purple or really white than you need take action. I went out and bought cheap heaters for really cold nights. During the day my birds never go in. At night their body heat is usually sufficient to keep combs from freezing. I know you guys are limited to shipment of poultry. But you can drive across the border with eggs. My friend does it.

i think ive decided to go for chantecler's thanks for the info though! and it does get cold in and around flint!

Quote: Heres another misconception.....This breeds name is Marans, period. Putting the word "French" in front of it means nothing and is incorrect.

The whole "French" thing started when one person began calling her Marans "French" marans trying to insinuate that "hers" were more directly from France than anyone else's here and therefor better than anyone else..

The French don't call them French Marans. Their breed club is " Marans club of France" Not French Marans club.

Yes the breed originated in France, but the name "French" is not part of the breeds name..

Heres another misconception.....This breeds name is Marans, period. Putting the word "French" in front of it means nothing and is incorrect.

The whole "French" thing started when one person began calling her Marans "French" marans trying to insinuate that "hers" were more directly from France than anyone else's here and therefor better than anyone else..

The French don't call them French Marans. Their breed club is " Marans club of France" Not French Marans club.

Yes the breed originated in France, but the name "French" is not part of the breeds name..
If I understood my reading correctly Yes they are Marans but there are different color varieties. My reading showed the French was used for the birds that meet the French standard( feathered legs being the main difference)

If I understood my reading correctly Yes they are Marans but there are different color varieties. My reading showed the French was used for the birds that meet the French standard( feathered legs being the main difference)
This confusion may have come about because in the English standard, Marans have clean legs, while French & US standards require feathering down the outside of the leg and the outside toe. Both were imported into the US and so some lines continue to pop up clean legs now and then. I don't believe there are any differences in the color standards.

Quote:
Yes, the clean legged "Marans" did come from England. And the term "clean legged" is what was used to distinguish them from the "feather legged" not "English or French".
The name is "Marans" without the French in front of it. It means nothing really. Varieties dont use "French" either. Varieties are named for their "color" and or various feather patterns. Saying French has no bearing on the variety. Some varieties of Marans are: Black Copper, Wheaten, White, Black, Blue Copper, without the term "French".

Heres another example. Brabanters. The Brabanters are a German breed, but we don't call them "German Brabanters". They are just Brabanters. Actually, most chicken breeds originated in another country, but we don't normally use their originating country in the name. One might say " I have Brabanters, that originated in Germany". That would be most correct.

I just recently purchased two chicks from a breeder who had Bev Davis lines (I believe that's what she said). Anyways, I am almost positive that both are males. *sigh* Thoughts? They are around 1 month old.

These chicks look a lot younger than one month. The one on the left does look roo to me.

Are all Black Copper's chatty, or just mine??

I have one that sounds more like a duck than a chicken but all four of mine CONSTANLY chatter. It doesn't bother me, actually helps me keep tabs on them when I'm outside.

Back
Top Bottom