Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I can't count the number of people I've given good quality birds to in an effort to get them started in the right direction. In many cases I've followed these gifts up with ongoing culling assistance complete with justifications for culling decisions. I've given away several copies of the APA Standard to promising newcomers as well as copies of some of the hundreds of articles I've collected over the years.

I didn't explain well it's the 3 chicken "experts" who don't take the time to learn the language of the fancy that are subject to ridicule. You know, the ones that will argue that boys & girls are appropriate terms to use when discussing chickens & will cite the dictionary as a defining source for poultry terminology while rejecting it's definitions of boy & girl.
As I said, if you're a 3 chicken backyarder who wants only eggs or needs to see chickens as their babies, none of this matters. However, I still believe that if you state an interest in the Fancy you need to learn the language if you want to be taken seriously. Go to a dog show & call your b-itch a dog & watch people just walk away from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, let's re-open this thread, following a LOT of clean up.

BYC is a bigger place than many folks sometimes realize. This is a very large place with a diverse membership, including those just starting out, to experienced homesteaders, to award winning Master Breeders, to American Poultry Association judges and officers who all contribute to make the BYC the dynamic community that it is.

If a thread, such as this one, is launched with the opening "mission statement" that includes references to the APA and to the Standard of Perfection and is begun in the forum for Breeds, Genetics and Showing, then it would be best for all participants to realize that is the intent and focus of the thread.

If adherence to the breed Standards as determined by the APA is not of any interest to you or showing just isn't your cup of tea, then please, we invite you to look elsewhere on BYC to get involved. Your constructive participation is highly welcomed. There are enormous choices available. Thank you.

BYC Mod Staff

Does anyone know where I can purchase show quality BCMs?

Try the thread on BYC that lists poultry shows.

This is a link to the poultry press web site listing upcoming poultry shows.
http://www.standardbreedpoultry.com/poultry_shows_swaps.php

Attending a show gives you are good chance to see how a breeder's cocks are judged.
Many times, breeders are willing to sell their cocks at the end of the show.

I stress "Cock" because it is more important and harder to find a really good male, than a female.
On the practical side of life, most of us "3 chicken backyard" folks only have room for one cock on our property.
HENS.. we could have a ton of since they don't crow or pick fight with others.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom