Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I bought a Brinsea and was very disappointed with the quality. IMHO it was no way worth the price paid. I returned it and bought a Dickey's 2 X 2. I have been very pleased. If I was going to buy anything less I would buy a cheap TSC or Rural King incubator. I would not waste money on the over priced Brinsea models.

Dan
I got them cheap on amazon and hayneedle. Ive seen them for 400 just for the octagon on their website. I bought the mini automatic and then the octagon with the automatic cradle both incubators together for about 300, shipping included. They work really well for me, ive had 100% hatch rate with them and on shipped eggs. The only thing i dislike is the plastic cover that can be easily cracked. I noticed the mini had a small crack and i don't remember dropping it. It doesn't affect my hatches though.

I bought them because I'm a small time hatcher, didn't think i would need to hatch more than 20 at a time but now i wish i could hatch at least 30 to 40 since i'll probably be hatching to sell. I can only hatch 18 eggs at a time with both.

I got them cheap on amazon and hayneedle. Ive seen them for 400 just for the octagon on their website. I bought the mini automatic and then the octagon with the automatic cradle both incubators together for about 300, shipping included. They work really well for me, ive had 100% hatch rate with them and on shipped eggs. The only thing i dislike is the plastic cover that can be easily cracked. I noticed the mini had a small crack and i don't remember dropping it. It doesn't affect my hatches though. 

I bought them because I'm a small time hatcher, didn't think i would need to hatch more than 20 at a time but now i wish i could hatch at least 30 to 40 since i'll probably be hatching to sell. I can only hatch 18 eggs at a time with both. 

The gears and the arm in the automatic cradle are also plastic. Not good!! Mine broke in the middle of a hatch that had some very pricey eggs inside. It dumped them every where! IMO $300 is way more than a chunk of plastic is worth.

Dan

My first time hatching I bought a Hovabator 2362n. Seemed overprice for it being a cheaply made styrofoam incubator with an archaic "thermostat" and a fan. Since I have no desire or talent to build my own, it was the one I decided on. Also bought a digital hygrometer/thermometer from Amazon.com that didn't work at all. Despite the odds being against me, I put 4 BCM eggs in the incubator and all four of them hatched. The incubator holds 50+ eggs so I also added some from my other hens and hatched a total of 20. The Marans eggs didn't need anything special, but they did tend to pip/hatch about 12 hours later than everyone else.

The gears and the arm in the automatic cradle are also plastic. Not good!! Mine broke in the middle of a hatch that had some very pricey eggs inside. It dumped them every where! IMO $300 is way more than a chunk of plastic is worth.

Dan
A lot of hobbyists really like the Brinsea products and have good luck with them. I'm with you though...especially when you can find older workhorses like GQF cabinet models for the same $300 and they will do 200+ eggs. The non-digital models are reliable as sunrise and if something goes wrong anyone can replace the part.

I have two incubators small and cheap hova bator 2362n with auto turner and little giant 10200 also auto turner both with a digital hygrometer/thermometer. these work just fine keep a eye on the humidity and no problems. I want to know how do you get a black marans I have hatched almost 100 eggs black copper and three pullets are all black is this a true black marans.

I have two incubators small and cheap hova bator 2362n with auto turner and little giant 10200 also auto turner both with a digital hygrometer/thermometer. these work just fine keep a eye on the humidity and no problems. I want to know how do you get a black marans I have hatched almost 100 eggs black copper and three pullets are all black is this a true black marans.

No. They are over melanized coppers. Blacks are genetically different. I have some blacks that came from a birchen cockerel that only had one copy of silver. That is the only route I know to make true blues or blacks. They are out there but hard to find.

Hello friends! I have an egg situation that I'm not sure what to make of.
The hen that laid this does lay smaller eggs but this is tiny! She was injured by a dog about a month ago but had recover and laid normal sized eggs for at least a week before this one. Any ideas what on earth? Thanks!

Hello friends! I have an egg situation that I'm not sure what to make of. The hen that laid this does lay smaller eggs but this is tiny! She was injured by a dog about a month ago but had recover and laid normal sized eggs for at least a week before this one. Any ideas what on earth? Thanks!
It's a "wind" or "cock" egg. If you break it open, you'll find it has no yolk. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cock_egg

Okay so I just got this FBCM boy the other day and we'll he sneezes. He doesn't sneeze repeatedly. It's just he's sneezing more than normal chickens. And also he will not act like a normal roo. He is 10 months old and I put him in the pen and he acts like a wimp were as I got a cochin bantam roo day before yeaterday I put him in there and he acts like a boy. What is going on with the sneezing? And what is going on with him being a scaredy cat?
And a picture.

I would like to use him in an OE project .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom