Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I had 2 brothers die within a few weeks of each other. so a word of warning grow out swine new roos every year just in case. I have been playing catch up with roos. never again will I not have a few of the best growing out. better to have backups than NONE.

I had 2 brothers die within a few weeks of each other. so a word of warning grow out swine new roos every year just in case. I have been playing catch up with roos. never again will I not have a few of the best growing out. better to have backups than NONE.
Thanks! Good advise which I have definitely been considering, been in your situation before (several times). Right now, numbers are so overwhelming it is easy to not want to do that but............ I know you understand!

This pullet is half BC and half Wheaten she is out of my avatar four year old male and a real good Wheaten hen.She has a lot of Mossy feathers. She has the kind of shank and toe feathering that I like. This mating was done to show everyone what happens when you cross a BC with a Wheaten. Do not make this mating if you are seriously breeding to the SOP.

Do not make this mating if you are seriously breeding to the SOP.
I would add that this type of offspring can also happen if you mate a Black Copper male and female, and both are eb-based. They may APPEAR to be Black Copper, but are recessive with wheaten; when two of the same recessive-genetic (one from each parent) birds are mated, it is expressed in the offspring.

I would add that this type of offspring can also happen if you mate a Black Copper male and female, and both are eb-based. They may APPEAR to be Black Copper, but are recessive with wheaten; when two of the same recessive-genetic (one from each parent) birds are mated, it is expressed in the offspring.
Wynette , that was the purpose of making the cross so everyone could see what happens with their own eyes.

We have 17 young fowl supposed to be BC but the males all have white legs and one is colored like a wheaten. Now this person is supposed to be winning with these Marans. Will post some pictures in a day or so if it doesn't get too hot.

Totally agree. Mine both died in the last two weeks.
he.gif
Heat got to one and my cat got to another. So now I need to grow out another roo... Donna helped me out with one.

Ouch sorry hardinpoultry, that stinks.... lost a second BCM hen yesterday, too many days of over 100 and high humidity for those poor big things. Made some changes today with misters and fans, hoping I don't lose any more...

Sue, that's a good question on the blue; I thought the blue was preferred to be laced in Marans, but I don't think it's been written yet for the blues, has it? You would sure know that befor me!
smile.png

(sidebar: the topline of both male and female should NOT be horizontal - it should go uphill from the base of the tail to the base of the neck, with the angle a bit steeper in the male; this is the "topline" of the bird.)
I asked Bev, and she said laced...I just sold all my blue coppers, so its not an issued with me, but needing to be laced will just make it more difficult to breed to the standard. JMHO.

Hi Don! What is your take on pullets with middle toe stubs/fluff on the webbing between outer and middle toe? One of my pairings is producing a lot of really nice pullets but with this issue. I have many to pick from for next years breeders so I am thinking cull.

Oh... why not think "share?"
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom