Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Don~ What does a person do with 5 Black Copper pullets that are as black as night and do not show one stitch of copper, but loaded with green sheen? :)

Last edited:
Don~ What does a person do with 5 Black Copper pullets that are as black as night and do not show one stitch of copper, but loaded with green sheen?
smile.png

Don~ What does a person do with 5 Black Copper pullets that are as black as night and do not show one stitch of copper, but loaded with green sheen?
smile.png
Find a BC male with a lot of Copper in the breast area and you should be happy with the young. Don

Kim, You know that I am not a big believer in Genetics when it comes to scatter bred Poultry. If you could find a real close bred flock of Poultry it would be a different story. Don
Understood my friend! Just interested in how and where the green can produce purple. Will keep you updated on what I find. I too, am so disgusted with what I see out there on the Marans market now days that I hesitate contacting many, many people, and would rather work with the birds in my yard, from people I know, with all their faults, then to bring in new blood.

Find a BC male with a lot of Copper in the breast area and you should be happy with the young. Don

All right cool! Now do me another favor, define the copper in the chest! :) Copper in the chest having the stripe of black in the middle, or the entire feather full of orange? What if a person sees hackle color that shows the entire feather full of orange, no stripe in the middle? Any correlation? Something deep within me tells me it is wrong to use a male that has fully covered orange feathers in the breast. What are your thoughts? :)

Quote: You could even use a BC male with no Copper in the Breast is he is from BC Marans that you know for sure are out of good Copper colored Fowl. I would just use a BC male that has good Copper colored feathers in the breast Any BC males I would use must have the Flame in the Hackle and medium size Black stripe.
I will PM you later and give you more info. Don

I should elaborate on my thinking about that. Every male that I have seen that is true BC or Blue Copper that has shown copper in the chest has never covered the entire feather, just kinda been like an edging. Other males that I have seen with color in their chest have shown the entire feather covered in orange and expressed shafting, along with expressing mossiness as a juvenile. Which one am I looking for?

You could even use a BC male with no Copper in the Breast is he is from BC Marans that you know for sure are out of good Copper colored Fowl.  I would just use a BC male that has good Copper colored feathers in the breast Any BC males I would use must have the Flame in the Hackle and medium size Black stripe.
I will PM you later and give you more info. Don
Cooi! Got it! The BC male that I shared with you the other day has the flame going on with a nice medium size black stripe (posted of photo of him and his brother over in the Blue Copper thread for comparison). Vicki agreed that he would be the best bet and not the other who is Mahogany, but said the Mh could be worked with with the right females. Thank you for your time, and your sharing your knowledge with us Don. :)

Last edited:
Gosh, I cannot believe how much I have missed my Marans friends since the mountain lion came through and wiped me out! I cannot believe how much I have forgotten!

Zanna!!!!!!!!! I see you lurking my friend! Hi, I hope you and your birds are doing fabulous! It's been soooooo hot over here! Can you believe it???? :) Whatcha working on now a days? :)

Back
Top Bottom