Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Maybe that's it? I'm also Im in texas in the middle of a 106 degree heat wave, I keep them in the shade and bring them frozen treats and frozen jugs of water throughout the day but maybe the heat is stalling their growth? It probably doesn't even works like that, I'm just surprised they still have patches of missing feathers and still have fuzzy necks as old as they are. Maybe my breeder was confused on their age? They are sweet though. little chicks just keep me worried , so fragile, I relax so much when they get bigger and feathered...
It's a relief when they get all feathered in for sure.

We have some French cooper marans roosters for sale. Asking what we paid for $20 each. They are handsome
but we have to many from a straight run.

If you have Easter eggers or Auracaunas I believe they will make olive eggers if you breed them.

Let me know if interested they are around 7.5 - 8 weeks old we are located in NC

Thanks so much for the offer and they are beautiful but that is one thing we do have is a bcm roo!

Looking for Black Copper Marans in the Central Texas area. Willing to drive a bit. Would prefer day olds or really young, but won't be to picky.

Last edited:
My black copper maran seemed kinda odd when I got it and when I look for images of them, there's no one with the weird look it has. It's 3 weeks old in this picture.

Anyone know if it's male or female? I have 5 chicks and it's one of the two that bumps chests and acts like a roo. It also has a really long neck.

My black copper maran seemed kinda odd when I got it and when I look for images of them, there's no one with the weird look it has. It's 3 weeks old in this picture. Anyone know if it's male or female? I have 5 chicks and it's one of the two that bumps chests and acts like a roo. It also has a really long neck.
That's a good question, what is it besides a chicken that may be male or female? Anyone?

We have had first four, then six, then eight laying French copper black Maran hens and one rooster -- at the time we almost gave up. Wonderful and frequent eggs and we came to love the chickens. The three tries above resulted in increasingly sturdier cages and runs - we thought we finally had it predator proof.
For almost a year now, however, we have had no chickens -- but there is undoubtedly a fat bobcat with perhaps glowing offspring in the neighborhood.
With our last set of chickens we found two dead inside the wire with the remains of their heads and necks outside. Bobcat did not get in, but rather than scaring the chickens away it had somehow enticed them to come close enough to the fencing to be grabbed - but their bodies were two large to be pulled through.
We didn't actually see a bobcat -- but beefed up the wire all around the runs anyway A few weeks later, in broad daylight, we saw how it was done. We saw a bobcat on top of the wired-in roof of the run reaching through as far as she could. She was actually "chumming" the chickens toward her -- with one paw down through the gaps in the roof she kept making a "come-hither" kind of motion with her claws - some of our hens seemed interested at the time we noticed all this and scared the cat away..
We even caught the **** bobcat later in a live trap while there were still five chickens and the rooster left! Fish & Game said that the only two choices were to let it go - or to kill it! We let it go - inside the run she had penetrated. Watching her race to freedom - she showed us the weak spot in our fencing on her way out.
We are going to try again - perhaps with an armed guard this time!

We have found no French Marans on Craigslist or on line and our local source has dried up. Had hoped to put a wanted thread on BYC -- but need seventeen more posts to be eligible.

This note is to point out the predator hazard to others. The fence needs to be fine mesh enough, at least to the height of a chicken, so that a bobcat cannot reach through. The roof fencing can be wider mesh but far enough off the ground so that a chicken could not be enticed near enough to be pulled up through. It is obvious that there must not be any weak spots!

Good luck to all. We will be back in the game someday - with black copper standard Marans again!

Back
Top Bottom