Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Ok, here they are at 7 weeks. The biggest cockerel is just starting to show a little color, but the front of his comb is starting to turn a little, and could possibly be the beginnings of carnation comb. Don, and anyone else, feel free to critique. The pullets so far are still mostly dark, but a few are starting to color. The one blue is also starting to show some nice edging

Ok, here they are at 7 weeks. The biggest cockerel is just starting to show a little color, but the front of his comb is starting to turn a little, and could possibly be the beginnings of carnation comb. Don, and anyone else, feel free to critique. The pullets so far are still mostly dark, but a few are starting to color. The one blue is also starting to show some nice edging

Wow they are getting big and looking good! I like your blue!
droolin.gif
I can't wait to get mine! Now let someone that knows something give you input!!!

Ok, let me try this: @snowbird

Look up 3 posts ;)
There are 2 other cockerels, much slower to mature. One is the mossy chick, but the other may be worth watching. Why does one mature so much faster than the others?

Last edited:
scflock - the carnation comb/influence will show at the back blade, not in the front. He may have the beginning of a wave, but so far it's not bad enough to be faulted (IMO). When I zoom on the pictures, I can see that the feather quality is quite poor, at least on that first Blue. I didn't zoom on the others. It's an issue with blue and self blue in many breeds, so not surprising. However, I breed solid Blue Marans, and they all have good to excellent feather quality (they have other issues, but feather quality is fine), so I know there are Marans with good quality feathering out there. Best of luck with your birds!!

SC, Take another look as there are more than one Blue here unless the camera is playing games. No the comb just has a little twist and would not worry at this time. He also does not have the Coronation Comb as it would be in the blade area.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom