Black copper marans roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stcroixusvi, Apr 5, 2012.

1. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    The black copper marans are approximately 8-9 weeks old. We have 4. The first shot is of 2 hens, I think. The one in the front
    has always been very small. She is about 1/4 of the others, and yet the same age. The second picture (with the buff silkie) has the other 2 (and the small one to the right.) The 3rd shot has a side/back view of one of what may be a roo/and no leg feathers like the others.

Do the roos have the bluish green color on their tails like other roos?

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    The only girl I see is the 1st pic, the tall one in the back....
    But I am in no means an expert.

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    I think the one that standing tallest in pic 2-3 is a cockerel. The first one I'm guessing is a pullet.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    The first pic are pullets. The second and third are little roos. I can't see the 4th pic well enough to judge. Your last one seems to have nice shank feathering btw.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  5. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Thanks - the last one is one of the possible roos. I took that angle to show the greenish feathers. I just wondered if they had greenish feathers regardless of pullet or cockerel. Wishful thinking...guess it may be time to find them homes. They are heritage chickens - Cottage Hill, Wade Jeane, and Bev Davis lines.

6. dannifer

dannifer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    Could you update on this: did these turn out to be boys or girls? :) I have a BCM I'm hoping is a pullet and looks very much like your first picture.

7. Jenikate

Jenikate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Here is a pic of my FBCM at about 7 weeks old. She is 24 weeks now and 100% pullet! Based on her comb I thought for sure it would be a roo...so sometimes this breed throws you for a loop. Im guessing though that what everyone else is saying is right...but also just saying that you never know until they crow ;)

[​IMG]

8. soler

soler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    the one standing tall in the top photos is definitely a pullet... i just got to week 14 of a straight run lot of FBCM, and it's been nerve wrecking! I also had one that looked like the bottom bird in the first photo and didn't grow a tail until week 9-10, and that was also a female for me! The boys got big, pink wattles pretty early on, by week 8. That was a better sign in my lot than tail or just crest size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by