Black Copper Marans

flyingdragon

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 22, 2009
Does anyone have suggestions on raising BC Marans? I have lost almost half my chicks this summer to some unknown illness. Plus, some are aggressive. Was looking forward to those dark eggs but the future doesn't seem too bright. Anyone with suggestions would be appreciated. Sorry if this is the wrong posting area. I also posted under diseases but I just want to know if I jam missing something a out the breed. Thanks!

I LOVE my FBCM. I have heard some complain about them being aggressive.

I have not experienced that with them. My Wyandottes were more dominant than my FBCM. Needless to say, I think it will depend on where you get them as to weather they are aggressive or not.

I have no idea about your mysterious illness. I have not lost any and I have had mine since 12/09.

You may want to try again - - - where did you get them from the first time?

I would like to keep the also. I purchased them from local sources I found on craigslist. One is a NPIP guy who got them from another source (supposedly Jeanes) and the others were raised at home by a small producer (supposedly Davis). I must say that the Davis are the most outstanding and beautifully colored and feathered per French standard but they seem this most likely to die. The Jeanes are the mean ones. Any recommendations on getting quality stock? I paid $10.00 apiece for 3 day old chicks. I don't mind the price if I can be sure I'm getting my money's worth.

You have no idea of the quality you can expect if you buy eggs or very young chickens. They are OK if you are a gambler ,but if they don't work out, don't complain.
Far better to buy a pair or trio of birds that are at least 8 months old.
You also need to judge the birds not the 'reputed' breeder line.
David

Last edited:
My birds are from Bev Davis line.

You nay have to get your birds from a source further away. There are MANY MANY MANY breeders on BYC. You will need to watch carefully. Read previous posts and find who had bought from whom and how happy they ended up with their purchases.

You are on the East Coast, so I am going to throw so names out for you to check into. I am listing them in alphabetically - - -

1.) Backwoods Poultry - Ron Presley Line
2.) Greenfire farms - Bev Davis and greenfire's own line - - -
3.) Whitmore farms - - I want to say Bev Davis, but I am not sure. Somebody can jump in here and correct me
wink.png

Do your research on each of these - - -

I know more people that come highly recommend - - but they are on the WEST coast.

I bought chicks when I started. My NEXT purchase will be eggs - - - I want to SEE what others are calling DARK eggs.
Buying chicks scares me after seeing some of these light colored eggs that people are hatching Maran chicks from. My neighbors RIR hens lay eggs darker than some people's marans are laying.

Last edited:
When looking for Marans one needs to do their homework and don't be afraid to ask any questions, breeders should be willing to share any and all info on their birds (IMO) and their birds history. I keep eggs from my very first birds to my latest birds including all shells from birds that hatched. Most every shell is dated and I am more than happy to share my egg cabinet with everyone. I also try to show them that days eggs if they are at the farm visiting, best of all is when I can pull one straight out of the coop while they are standing here.

Quote:
Pinkchick is one of those that I have heard GOOD things about - - - but she is one of those WEST coast Breeders.

Pinkchick - - - have you shipped as far as Florida and had really good hatching success with the eggs ? ? ?

Thanks for the kind words. No I havent shipped that far, primarily ship on west coast if necessary, most of the time my eggs are sold so fast locally that I cant manage to offer to ship. Would also be happy to ship if the girls werent molting. I will tell you that I have shipped in birds and eggs from Florida, of course the birds themselves have made it, but the hatching eggs have not been so lucky in terms of hatch rates. I have even had poor hatch rates from eggs shipped from my state.
hmm.png

We have BCM from three of the big breeders, and I have found in the three years we have raised them that for some reason I have to do a lot of culling, We are going to sell all of BCM as brown egg layers BREED UNKNOWN because I don't want anyone saying that they got BCM from me.

Now, we do have Wheaten Marans that lay almost a black colored egg sometimes lighter and these came from a small breeder in Oklahoma

Quote:
BCM it seems are a work in progress you need to like a "project" it seems from reading on here from good breeders they didn't have an easy time of it and now since it has become popular well it makes it more difficult for people who want to start....out of many it looks like I might have 3 that are good enough to "try" breeding for myself and I have found from this board good people more to hatch from if I want to keep trying. I do understand your frustrations but the breed really does need people to strive for bettering the breed not just propagating it....

Back
Top Bottom