Black Copper or Blue Birchen Marans?

Feb 17, 2021
Somewhere down in Texas
Hi y’all! I’m debating getting Marans hatching eggs next year, but I’m not sure which breed is best? I’ve found a place that has lines directly from GFF for both of these (Black copper and Blue birchen). $36 a dozen for BCM and $48 a dozen for BBM. I’m looking for deep dark eggs, but I’m mostly looking for docile personalities. I had BCMs for 12ish weeks earlier this year before they got MG, and they were very friendly, but I only had them from 2 weeks old to 14 weeks old. The place I found also has wheaten Marans available, but I’m not as interested in those (unless y’all can convince me otherwise). :) I would really appreciate any insight if you have had any experience with these breeds.
-ChickenWhisperer101 🐣💕

Tough choice!
I would be tempted to get a dozen of each but lining up someone who would take some chicks if all hatched.
My problem is 1- the incubator I’m most likely getting only holds 22 eggs, 2- this will be my first hatch so I don’t want to go overboard, and 3- I would like to hatch some of my own eggs as well. I appreciate your reply. :)

Hi y’all! I’m debating getting Marans hatching eggs next year, but I’m not sure which breed is best? I’ve found a place that has lines directly from GFF for both of these (Black copper and Blue birchen). $36 a dozen for BCM and $48 a dozen for BBM. I’m looking for deep dark eggs, but I’m mostly looking for docile personalities. I had BCMs for 12ish weeks earlier this year before they got MG, and they were very friendly, but I only had them from 2 weeks old to 14 weeks old. The place I found also has wheaten Marans available, but I’m not as interested in those (unless y’all can convince me otherwise). :) I would really appreciate any insight if you have had any experience with these breeds.
-ChickenWhisperer101 🐣💕
We live in central Indiana and I've always wanted Copper Maran chickens!! I'd love some of the chicks if all your eggs hatch!

I have Black Copper Marans and live in Kentucky. Summers are hot and humid and this is their 2nd summer. I let mine free range and they have access to plenty of shade and water and they do well taking care of themselves. During the heat of the day everyone's favorite place to hang out is underneath the mimosa trees on our creek bank. I don't blame them, it feels about 10 degree's cooler under there. They also spend a lot of time actually wading in the creek where they have learned to catch minnows and crayfish to their hearts content. If they are not hanging out there their next favorite spot is in the barn isle taking advantage of the fan running for the horses or in their stalls napping.

Other than coloring they are essentially identical birds, basically just different color varieties of the Marans breed. The Blue Birchens eggs tend to be a little lighter in color, the one I had laid a very dark brown egg with speckling.😊
Egg color also depends on the breeder quality you get them from.

This is the place I was thinking about getting them from. It’s called Pocos farm. I tried to paste the website put it wouldn’t work.

C1A394CE-AF2D-4B70-A1AB-0317E9146504.png

I would say get some of each and see which ones you like the best! The good quality BCM lay an incredibly dark copper egg. Photo attached from eggs from one I hatched and sold to a friend. The hatching eggs were from a local breeder that sourced from GFF several years ago.
I just bought a started pullet from him a few weeks ago and excited to see how her eggs come out.
The second egg was from my Blue Birchen Marans, Daisy who died unexpectedly a few months ago. I would say she had a sweet personality and didn’t mind being petted, but did not seek attention. That is my experience with Marans in general, little more standoffish that other breeds I have. 😊
7D51D3BE-8084-4B24-A945-C153B57B3E84.jpeg

778A24F6-EAA3-4655-B8EF-D620D9A93F68.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom