Black Copper or Copper Black

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by emsevers, Oct 14, 2009.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I've been looking to buy some Black Copper Maran eggs and now I've come across Copper Black Marans. I am wondering what the difference is. Are they the same thing? If not what is the difference and which is the more traditional that came from France? Thanks

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    They're the same thing. People just rearrange the wording for some silly reason. [​IMG]

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    They are the same thing but I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be called Black Copper Marans

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

They are the same. The difference is in the way it has been translated from the French in different countries.

5. Krys109uk

They are the same thing but I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be called Black Copper Marans

LOL it's supposed to be noir cuivree. [​IMG]

If one translates it word for word tn it is black copper but if one takes into account that words are not always arranged in the same order in other languages it then become copper black. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yeah I know how that is Krys, I'v learned a good bit of spanish and the nouns and adjectives are switched from the way we say them in english.

7. Krys109uk

I'v learned a good bit of spanish and the nouns and adjectives are switched from the way we say them in english.

Yup....same in French. [​IMG]

8. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Hate to be pedantic but the correct name is Brown Red, (aka Black Copper, Copper Black, Black Copper-neck, Mahogany Birchen depending on the country you are in)
    David

9. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Oooo, I like "Mahogany Birchen". More phenotypically accurate than "brown red", since the birds aren't brown -- and more genetically accurate than "black copper". Which country calls em that?

ETA: Oh, and P.S. -- the "correctness" of "brown red" also depends on what country you're in. The APA is accepting the "black copper" nomenclature, so that's the "Correct" title here in the states. But I do like "Mahogany Birchen"!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  10. Krys109uk

The colour is accurately called brown-red.

With hobby names the breeders seem to give the birds whatever name they feel like calling them & rarely take genotype into account. The, erm, "lemon blue" cochins & the, erm, "porcelain" silkies being the most recent mis-naming of bird colours joining the ever growing list of misleading hobby names.

I'm not sure what French breeders typically call brown-red varieties but in Marans they call them "Copper Blacks" or more directly "Noir cuivrée".

Perhaps we might persuade the French to call their Marans "rouge-brun". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by