Black east indie with white patches??

Oscarsgravett

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 18, 2014
East Sussex , England
I recently purchased some hatching eggs of this breeder I work for and my broody managed to hatch 4 of them out 1 MSA , 2 calls and 1 east indie. I noticed that the east indie had a yellow bib under her neck and thought nothing of it but the bib disappeared a bit but revealed a few big white patches on it's breast. It's parents don't have white patches except on one boy which has a very small patch.

Does anyone else's East indie have any white on them?

Here was her when she was born:

I will get a picture of her later with her white patches :)

Could you ask your breeder/boss about it without her getting mad? I don't know anything about ducks but, she is very pretty. Did you want to show her. or just wonder if she is pure bred?

I recently purchased some hatching eggs of this breeder I work for and my broody managed to hatch 4 of them out 1 MSA , 2 calls and 1 east indie. I noticed that the east indie had a yellow bib under her neck and thought nothing of it but the bib disappeared a bit but revealed a few big white patches on it's breast. It's parents don't have white patches except on one boy which has a very small patch.

Does anyone else's East indie have any white on them?

Here was her when she was born:

I will get a picture of her later with her white patches
smile.png
I've never seen a purebred young BEI with white feathers, but I suppose it could be a recessive defect that manifested, especially since its father has some white. That would disqualify it from show, but that doesn't really matter if you weren't planning to show it and are satisfied with it otherwise.

You might politely ask your boss if she's had this before with other ducklings from this pair, but I'm not sure what that would accomplish. I don't know any breeder who will guarantee breeder or show quality progeny from hatching eggs or even adult pairs. Even if you were to buy a top show quality pair, you have no guarantee that they will produce show quality ducks because, well, stuff just happens in nature, same as how human children from the same parents never look the same unless they're identical twins.

I think she's a beautiful duck regardless. I'd take her in a minute
wink.png

Thank you Drumstick diva & jade computer gal for the replies I asked my boss and she was fine and said there was a problem with a white streak going through the ducklings because of a new drake they bought from another breeder some that's where the white came from :). Luckily I wasn't planning on showing her as I have some other show ducklings :) . I love her though whatever ever colour she is :)

And here is my 4 and a half week old east indie duckling:

Back
Top Bottom