Black EE: Red comb=roo for sure? (Also, question about crested birds.)

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
My chicks hatched on November 24...so that makes them around 8 weeks old? I need to check a calendar. I ordered all pullets, but I think two of my six are roosters. One is huge and brown with a red comb. This black EE is full bodied but not huge...the only roo sign I can find is this unfortunate red comb. The four other chicks have pretty much no comb at all right now.

459820106_WCQhM-M.jpg

459821165_TBRfg-M.jpg

Is there any shred of hope that it could be a pullet with a crazy comb?

My crested birds...

I think these two polish are sadly also roosters. (I have such bad luck! All of my chicks always are roosters!!!)

459824090_cdSkv-M.jpg

459820740_y9uYX-M.jpg

And this, the cutest chick EVER turned into something else over night. Feathers are sprouting from odd places.

459821705_EZ4kP-M.jpg

I swear it was cute just a few days ago, it looked like a tiny baby penguin. Then today...whoa. My husband can't stop laughing at the poor thing.

Idk, the jury's still out with the EE. Both polish look like roos except maybe the lighter one. The odd one- wow! perhaps another polish X or something???

The white crested black polish doesn't have much of a comb going on, just a tiny bit of red and not forked. The gray one (blue?) has a bit of horns growing, which I think is the forked comb. I thought the wc black was a pullet until those red wattles showed up this week! I had Polish pullets before, and none of them had wattles like that at a young age.

The funny looking thing came in the Ideal crested special. I think it's a Creveocoeur. (I always spell that wrong.) But it seems to look exceptionally goofy all of a sudden.
idunno.gif

I thought Polish roos had that Rod Stewart look going on and the pullets had boufants. If it went by the topknot I would say you had girlys.

EE is tough, It does have a red comb. and is a fair size. however it has a pullets coloring. and feathers.. give it a little while longer. the first polish i see a hen. light one? Im kind of thinking a rooster. the other i have no idea. Just a tip

-Just because they're big. and the comb is red/they're developing wattles doesn't mean they are a rooster. red in the face/comb/wattles/earlobes resembles healthyness besides the breeds with dark faces (sumatras. etc since you want them to be dark. and some breeds faces are just always pale/dark) Thats also why red combs/wattles is usually related to them getting ready to lay, it means their healthy. if a hens unhealthy-no eggs

-Daniel

for size.. It may just be a big hen. I have a american game hen that came out as tall and weight wise as her brothers were.

I have my fingers crossed that the black EE just has a big comb, or maybe it will be an amazing quiet rooster.
wink.png

I also thought the first Polish, the white crested black, was a hen until those red wattles popped up. My other polish hens never had wattles like that, and they were almost to the point of lay when I had to rehome them. So...? I don't know what to think about the white crested black! It does have a very rounded crest too...the silver polish is starting to get a spiky crest now.

the EE, at only 2 months a comb that size is definitely a roo.
I don't know about polish as I have none
that last one is priceless
tongue.png

Those Polish are so cute! Can you get full body pics? The crests look hen-ish, as I also have Polish fowl and a mixed hen similar to your 'penguin'. Can you feel spurs coming in? Maybe that's not accurate, because my Polish hen has a good pair on her legs...but a full body pic of each? It might be more helpful to the infamous-trained-eye.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom