Black Feather Dust Everywhere....

Don't worry about the chicks acclimating. They're well feathered by now so they should be comfortable without any heat while indoors.

Meanwhile, if the day is sunny, even if still cold out, if the wind isn't blowing, take the chicks outdoors and let them romp. I use a pet crate to transport them outside from the house. I place the crate on the ground and open the door. They will come out after screwing up the courage. Then stand back and watch them explode into flight. It's a wondrous thing to behold!

Don't worry about losing them. Stick closely with them so a predator won't swoop in and carry one off. When the chicks get their fill of racing around, they will return to the crate. If they huddle together in the crate, it's a signal they may be chilled. Bring them in then.

That dust is mostly feather dander. There's a lot because the chicks are growing so fast, replacing down with feathers. If you keep most of the poop scooped up, there won't be any ammonia buildup with just five chicks. Besides, the furnace filter is designed to permit maximum air circulation while trapping fine particles.

Thank you for helping me to feel more at ease in putting them out. I am def having an issue with them getting cold and/or sick. I sure took their brooder heater away and they are just fine. I opened the window a few days and they were fine too. I did think to take them outside when we were having that nice weather, but again, reluctant, feeling afraid. Should've. : \ We now have brisk cold wind and 10-15 degrees at night. So we will now just build another pen for the garage. Put them in front of the doors and hang a heat lamp high to take the edge off. We did this with our first flock but it was early spring. But I'll toughen up and get over it. You are experienced and I trust your opinion on that. Thanks a lot, appreciate it. Hopefully we will have an occasional mild day, and yes, I look forward to them being set free! To wander and feel grass and to pick and nibble. I can't wait for that! I'm really kicking my butt for not trying that last week. It was very nice out. Almost 70 basically unheard of but it happens in VA. We have a large yard. I remember the first flock went running for the area I did not want them to go so my daughter and I herded them for hours. But it is one heck of a happy sight! Thank you for those tips and signs.

The furnace filters are amazing. I mean, even the window sill near their pen isn't nearly as dusty. And there is no more dust on the toilet tank which is far away like 15 feet like there was. Great idea!
Thanks again.

I live in Northern Wyoming, and we get a whole lot colder than you do. I was where you are my first year with chicks. Oh, the DUST! The peeping and cheeping all night long! I evicted mine on April 1st when they were 5.5 weeks old. The coop wasn't done, but I was! Nighttime temps were 20 and below, daytime highs probably struggled into the mid-30s. The first two nights they had a heat lamp out there, but when I'd check on them they weren't anywhere near it...they were cuddled in a pile of beaks and feathers in front of the pop door. So the third day I took it out. If they didn't need it, I wasn't risking a fire. That night it snowed, and we didn't get our last snowfall until June 6th. If I'd kept them in the house all that time, I'd have been gathering eggs from the brooder! Nope, not for me! They did beautifully. Those feathers are designed for protection, and they do their jobs well!

I did as @azygous has suggested for you and weaned them off the heat a few days before. They actually got madder about being in the dark than they did the chill. Boy, they screamed and fussed when the sun would go down and they were in the dark. Oh, well. Far as I know Momma Broody Hen doesn't have a nightlight under her wings either, and at 5.5 weeks old they wouldn't all fit under her anymore anyway. So the heat was off, the window in the office where their brooder was was opened during the day, and left cracked open at night. They acclimated faster that I ever imagined. Resilient little stinkers, those chicks!

Now I skip the indoor brooding completely and brood outdoors from the start. If they have been shipped, they get the first 24 hours in the house in a dog crate. After that, if there are no signs of shipping stress, out they go.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

If you can make yourself put up with the dust for just a couple more days, acclimating them, and if you have a safe, dry, out of the wind place for them outside, they are more than ready at this age.

Wow! Now I really feel wimpy! HeeHeeHee! Geez, my goodness - you are so right! mama hen has no room a chick this size under her wing. not even one! They are surprisingly big. I had forgotten how fast they grow.

Yes, the dust was incredible, had no idea and don't remember that with the first flock. But all of these chicks are black and the dust is noticeable everywhere, but since I was told about the furnace filters, I'm quite amazed at the reduction, even though the sides are still open.

Good grief, I just may have my husband step on it. They do look like they are ready for something else, like moving on out. Gee, you guys have made me feel SO much better about putting them out. I feel so relieved now. I noticed Amazon sells some pretty 'cheap' coop and pen combos (might be rickety in a few months) may just opt for that and go for it right now. I've got Prime so could be here quickly. I'll see what the hub says about that. I think he'll go for it.

Thank for the confidence with the cold weather.

Put those babies outside! They are plenty old enough.

1. Harden them off:
Day 1: Turn off the heat all together - permanently.
Put them outside in the cage in the sun for a couple of hours during the day.

Day 2: Keep bathroom window open all day long and shut it at night
Put them outside in the cage in the sun for 4 hours during the day

Day 3: Keep the bathroom window open all day and all night long
Put them outside in the cage for 6 hrs during the day

Day 4: Move them permanently outside

2. Build or Buy a Coop/Pen
When you move them into the coop/pen - keep them confined in it for about 3 days so they learn that is their home. Then, they will return to it every night once you start letting them roam

Hint: I was scared to put my birds outside at 5 weeks old in the spring with 50 degree nights... but it was nothin to them :)
I've got 1.75 week old chicks running around in 40 degree weather eating and drinking and flapping. They go back to their momma when they've had enough cold - but they tolerate it really well.

Oh THANK YOU for that breakdown! I was just sitting here with my wheels turning wondering if this and that were appropriate. Geez. I tell you, these little chicks are going to be glad I asked about feather dust!!!

Here's my plan.... going to order the relatively cheap coop/pen from Amazon. I'll position it in the front of the garage door and provide a heat lamp far above to take the cold edge off - the garage is like a refrigerator and is only sunny early morning till about 10 or 11. I'll close the door at night and continue the lamp use. I'll monitor to see it they even appreciate it. After about a week, maybe less, esp if weather is good, I'll let them loose and stand by to herd them if needed. After a bit of 'loving it' I'll put them up and keep doing this everyday in good weather for longer periods of time.

Is this a somewhat good plan?

Thanks!

I would not bother with an actual coop in your garage, just a secure pen, it will be a lot cheaper.

I would not bother with an actual coop in your garage, just a secure pen, it will be a lot cheaper.

You mean just put a pen in the garage? That is what we did with our first flock. It was just a pen about 8 ft long and 3 feet high. I was thinking they might like having a little covered coop up high.

Those little coops are pricy, you can give them some roost, my coops all have concrete floor, just put enough bedding. Chickens are really cold hardy once they feather out, and they are more interested in having room to move and get away from each other than being enclosed.

Back
Top Bottom