Black giants or black australorps ?

Jacob Temple

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2012
I know the whole white bottom foot yellow bottom thing ( All have white bottom feet ) but i think my rooster ( died last week but ) was a giant but i was told no but he was huge and some of the hens are all but 1 but heres the pic of the rooster and the other pics are of the young hatch of this year ( 6 months old ) a couple are rhode island red mixes but this is the only pic i have of them you can see the hens in the pic tho ( first 2 pics are the rooster and 3rd and 4th is hens with him and rest are some young and hens

Have you weighed them? That can help as Giants are considerably heavier than most other breeds.

Jersey Giants:
Hen: 10lbs. Pullet: 8lbs
Cock: 13lbs. Cockerel: 11lbs.

Australorps:
Hen: 6 1/2 lbs. Pullet: 5 1/2lbs
Cock: 8 1/2lbs Cockerel: 7 1/2lbs.

I know the whole white bottom foot yellow bottom thing ( All have white bottom feet ) but i think my rooster ( died last week but ) was a giant but i was told no but he was huge and some of the hens are all but 1 but heres the pic of the rooster and the other pics are of the young hatch of this year ( 6 months old ) a couple are rhode island red mixes but this is the only pic i have of them you can see the hens in the pic tho ( first 2 pics are the rooster and 3rd and 4th is hens with him and rest are some young and hens

Black Australorps have a green sheen to their feathers in the sunlight. (not just the tail feathers.) So they do not appear to be Australorps.

Where did you get your chickens?

i got them from my aunt who got them from a amish community in either in north ga they got some of those and some buff laced polish

well some were cross with rhode island red the pics that have a lot of them were the crossed ones and the pure ones

Back
Top Bottom