black Jack 57 questions

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
I bought it a couple weeks ago but we weren't that close yet. This past week my husband has been flipping the bucket back and forth every couple of days to hopefully help us stir it better. Now for my questions....... Tomorrow our weather should be mid 50's with maybe a shower later in the day. My coop is well ventilated and also dry (we have had some pretty big rain the past week since we did the roof and ventilation holes and it stayed dry). Would it be ok to put the first coat on in those temps? Sun will be mid 60's and nice so would like to get the 2nd coat on. I think the next week is around 60-65. How long do you think it will take to cure enough to put shavings on it and put my chicks out in the coop?

From their tech sheet: "Apply on a clear warm day with no rain expected for 24 hours. Apply when surface temperatures are between 65 °F and 110 °F."

Curing time kinda varies. As long as first coat is dry enough to safely walk on you can apply the second coat on top. Give it a couple more days, and if it's mostly dry/minorly tacky to touch you can put litter in after that.

I gave mine maybe 4 days between coats, but didn't add litter for maybe 7-10 days after. But we tend to be overcast and cooler in the spring which is when the coop was installed.

From their tech sheet: "Apply on a clear warm day with no rain expected for 24 hours. Apply when surface temperatures are between 65 °F and 110 °F."

Curing time kinda varies. As long as first coat is dry enough to safely walk on you can apply the second coat on top. Give it a couple more days, and if it's mostly dry/minorly tacky to touch you can put litter in after that.

I gave mine maybe 4 days between coats, but didn't add litter for maybe 7-10 days after. But we tend to be overcast and cooler in the spring which is when the coop was installed.
Thanks. I did see that on the spec sheet but was hoping that just said that about no rain for 24 hrs where it is technically a roof coating so where the coop was dry it would still be ok. Think they are calling for a "shower" today, so may or may not have any rain. Then rain again on Mon..... LOL so was hoping to be able to get it done so hopefully in a couple weeks the run would be done and chicks could go out since it would have 2 weeks to cure.

our temps are all over the place in spring. We can be high 40's up to mid 70's from one day to the next.

I would wait for temps closer to the recommended range. Sometimes I don't with products like this. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I know they allow a margin and it is the kind of product that isn't super sensitive but they specify surface temperature, not air temperature. If high is expected to be 50, it might not get that high and you are using your margin to reach toward theirs. Even if it hits 50, it may not be there long, the inside part works against you on this... it will be at least partly shaded so won't warm the surface much.

If it was autumn so your temperatures have been consistently higher, a day that hits a little lower than the recommended temp doesn't matter as much.

Rain won't be a problem for the first coat since it is inside, it will just make curing take longer.

I haven't used this product yet, so this is general info. I don't know if it just a risk that it will be too stiff to spread properly or it won't bond to the surface well or something else.

Thanks. I did see that on the spec sheet but was hoping that just said that about no rain for 24 hrs where it is technically a roof coating so where the coop was dry it would still be ok.

I think humidity is a concern, obviously that could extend out drying time and may also affect adhesion - but I don't know for sure. Just aim for as close to possible to their application recommendations and it shouldn't be an issue.

Obviously the company will point out this isn't an intended use, so they don't have a spec sheet on how to use it as coop flooring. :)

We held off on doing it today. it didn't rain but was cool and overcast. If we have time in the morning we will do it since tomorrow is going to be sunny and mid 60's.

Thanks for the advice it helped. :)

so I finished up the blackjack 57 yesterday around noon (was in the high 60's has been breezy, no rain etc.). It feels dry to the touch and not tacky at all......

Would it be ok to try shavings later on Sun and walk on a few and see if they stick at all or is that way too soon? Next week is going to be in the 70's during the day and would love to bring the chicks out to spend some time in it during the day if it is ok.

so I finished up the blackjack 57 yesterday around noon (was in the high 60's has been breezy, no rain etc.). It feels dry to the touch and not tacky at all......

Would it be ok to try shavings later on Sun and walk on a few and see if they stick at all or is that way too soon? Next week is going to be in the 70's during the day and would love to bring the chicks out to spend some time in it during the day if it is ok.
If it's pretty dry to the touch I'd go ahead and throw in the shavings on Sunday and NOT walk on them (since we obviously weigh a lot more than chickens). Lightweight things like shavings shouldn't stick but anything heavy can tack down a bit.

Back
Top Bottom