Black Java hen going broody...already???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Engteacher, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    So our 30 week old black java hen won't get off her nest box. She's been there day and night since Sunday, three days ago. She won't even come out when we bring out the scratch pail. We've removed the eggs under her and she growls at us, but doesn't peck.

We live in MN. It is November and starting to get cold, but our coop is insulated and cozy.

She didn't lay an egg today when we checked, so she has no eggs under her at the moment. Should we give her a few? Should we leave her alone and see what happens? Would chicks that hatch in winter survive? She would be a first timer, after all. I realize that the worse that could happen is that she abandon the eggs or mortality on hatched chicks could be high. Not too much to risk, I guess. What would you do?

2. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Sounds like a broody to me. Id give her a couple fertile eggs. Momma hen should be able to give warmth through the winter.

3. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    As for abandonment I would have a brooder for just in case. Also make sure there is feed and water near but not in the nest or she will poop in it. Nothin is worse than a broody's poop.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Two of my Brahma hens went broody within the first week of starting to lay eggs.

Aged now 16 months, neither have laid more than 20-30 eggs in total as they have been broody most of the time since. Talk about chick machines.......

For the first hatch it is better to only give a few eggs as the rookie broody doesn't always get things quite right.

Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by