Black Java or Black Giant?

tommysgirl

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 18, 2012
I need help discerning my black java chicks from my black giant chicks. They are still pretty close in size, they all have black legs and feet with yellow soles. Also it is difficult to tell the pullets from the cockerels with some of these guys. When they were 6 weeks old I separated what I thought were the boys from the girls based on comb and wattle development. The pics are from my "pullet" pen. You can see limited combs but the waddles on some of these birds seem to sprout overnight. The Java are a slow maturing bird so I think those with the least comb and waddle development are Java. The pen with who I assume are the boys have nice tall red combs. Any help you can provide will be helpful. Thanks
20211009_120149.jpg
20211009_120042.jpg
20211009_120101.jpg

Thank you....some eyes are dark almost black, the others are more green others are lighter but still dark brown. The birds all have red ear lobes. In answering your questions I believe I can tell which breed is which based on eye color. Thanks for asking me to check that out.

O
So from the birds in question I have held on to just this girl. Hatched August 7. I am still unsure if she is a Giant or a Java. Java's were used as a foundation for Giants and they passed along their feather, leg, foot, ear and eye color. Here is a document where I pasted pics from FeatherSite of both breeds side by side and I am not really seeing much difference. I have also attached pictures of my girl who is luminous. Her black feathers show green and purple even on cloudy days. She eats from my hand and is ALWAYS on the lookout for goodies as she ranges my backyard. She is docile but not a lap chicken. She is bigger than the pullets of the same age which has me leaning toward Giant and at going on 6 months her comb is more juvenile in appearance and both breeds are slow to mature. I am sure I will figure it out eventually but I would like to know just because I would like to know ;) In the 2nd and 3rd pics she is next to my Australorp roo and he is magnificant but her sheen is even more pronounced

IMG-0244.jpg
IMG-0246.jpg
IMG-0247.jpg

Last edited:
She does doesn't she, but she isn't.:hmm I have Australorps as well. Her tail carriage is not as upright and her body is longer and as my shipment included Black Java and Black Jersey Giants I have narrowed the field to those two breeds :)

Back
Top Bottom