Black Java with tail problem

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Oldebman, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Oldebman

Oldebman New Egg

Jan 22, 2010
    Rabun Gap
    I have several Black Javas that I hatched from eggs received from Duane Urch
    (Urch/Turnland Poultry). The only one of the flock showing the recessive gene
    for yellow feet (bottoms) also has what looks like a deformed tail (feathers
    point down). Is this a genetic flaw or due to hatching problems? It was a
    difficult hatch and I had to break the rules and extract some of the chicks
    after they pipped or they would have died. I have since undated my equipment and
    knowledge, so I hope to never have to do that again (It is very nerve racking).
    However I would like to use this bird for breeding (proper foot color), but not
    if the tail problem is genetic.

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Hey Robert, I don't have any idea about the answer to the question, but I am interested in hearing an answer if anyone else has any, But I would really like to see some pics of him if you can get some. Hey, I found another lady that has Javas too, I'll email you again and give you more info.

3. javachick

javachick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2010
    Vevay, IN
    Hi Oldebman
    I saw your post on your Black Java chick and I would love to see a photo to be sure, but I am going to guess that if you had a rough time hatching you might of somehow broke the little chick's tail, would be my first thought. If that is the case, this would not be a genetic defect, then.

Once I had a Java hen with a broken tail (one of the kids grabbed a hen by her tail too roughly).

I have been raising a small flock of Black Javas since 2001 and added the White Javas a couple years later and I have not come across a tail defect in them. I have however had problems with sidespurs on occasion, feet that are pink and not golden, and sometimes more gold in the Black Javas eye color than I liked. Currently I have bred most of these defects out of my flock.

javachick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by