Black Jersey Giants... (edited- with pics)

Huntress06

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2016
PA
Hey, all! New chick mama here. We have 2 Jersey Giants amongst our coop (approx 3 weeks old), and I can't help but feel that one is male. I did some research about the wing feathers being a way to tell the gender, well, his are different from all the other chicks. I just chalked it up and figured, we'll find out sooner or later how much truth that holds. Today, I noticed when I opened the coop, he stayed behind and stood in such a way that his feathers were kinda puffed up, and he has longer tail feathers than the other Giant. Whether he is a boy or a girl is really no matter, but I am trying to learn as much as possible in the process. What do you think? Is he indeed a roo?

I cannot, for the life of me, get a picture to upload on here, from my phone.... ugh!!

Last edited:

This is the best i could get to compare their heads.

And this of their tails.

Last edited:
Thank you! I figured, but im just dying of curiosity lol approx what age is it possible to tell?

:p3+ weeks! Sometimes you can tell really early, and other times they can trick you. ;) Literally two of my roosters have done that! I thought they were hens until they started crowing! :p My bantam cockerels didn't start looking like little roosters until a few weeks ago. They are 3 months old! So it varies. I would post pics again in 2-4 weeks! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom