Black Leghorns

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by uros4you39, Aug 28, 2010.

1. uros4you39

uros4you39 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Does anybody have any pictures of thier black leghorns they would like to share. Also does anybody have any breeding information, mostly for females but also males.
    Thanks.

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    http://www.freewebs.com/leghornbreeders/ckrl breeding black leghorns.jpg Not my birds http://www.freewebs.com/leghornbreeders/black leghorn female.jpg Birds on first picture are Australian selection and hen on second-English.This hen has the dream yelow legs. Maintaining yellow legs on hens makes roosters have white feathers on tail Many breeders raise 2 lines of black leghorns. One for perfect males where hens have dusky-yellow legs, roosters will have perfect yellow legs and no white in tail.
    THe line for perfect felmaes will be from males with a few white feathers in the tail and hens will have bright yellow legs. American type leghorns are a little different then English, European or Austrailian but maintaining black plumage, yellow legs is very important. I see you are very interested in black leghorns Try to find "Standard of Perfection".
    to have a good image of the leghorn American type look at pictures of show quality white Leghorns - they usually have the best body type in the breed.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  3. uros4you39

Jun 25, 2010
    Thank you, that was very helpful information, and yes I am very interested in black leghorns. Do you know where I could possibly find some american type black leghorn pictures, because that is what I was really looking for along with breeding information, because I always see english type birds of good quality but none of the american type.
    Thank you.

4. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    It's hard to find pictures of good black leghorns so I suggested you look at show quality white leghorns to see the type. MAybe as more people gain interest in the black leghorn, more will be available. TO be honest, I call me black leghorns show quality and they are very good quality with yellow legs (male line) no white feathers but I will be working to achieve the type like whites.

5. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    Here`s a pic of one of my large fowl Black Leghorn roosters. He`s American type I suppose. My Blacks have medium size combs, the hens are NOT floppy at all.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  6. dtm

dtm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    here is a pic of my black leghorn. he does have a little white in the tail.the date on the camera is not correct. he is a year old. [​IMG]

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:Oh PLEASE post photos!! A good Leghorn sweep is a beautiful thing in itself!

8. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    I don't know about the quality of them but Sand Hill Preservation sells the Black Leghorn.

9. uros4you39

Jun 25, 2010
    Don't think that Sandhill's are show quality yet, but I heard they are working on getting them to become show quality or at least close to show quality.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Those are some magnificent birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by