Black Liquid Coming from Nose and Mouth

tamiep

Songster
7 Years
Jun 3, 2016
Oswego, IL 60543, USA
I have a hen, not sure of age because she is a rescue. She seemed fine yesterday. She's been funny about eating her treats, but sometimes she's picky. This afternoon I noticed that she was not out with the other girls betting her treat. I look in the coop and she is still in there. I did not notice that she did not come out this morning because I was in a rush to leave.

I look in on her and her head is hanging, she feels cold and ridged, her comb is half black or dark purple, and she is wet on her chest. I pick her up and he has a black liquid coming out of her nose and mouth. She is very skinny, but I did not notice her seeming ill. She has a lot of feathers and is not one that likes to be touched, so I did not see anything wrong with her until now. Any ideas on what is wrong and what to do?

I held her beak to toward the ground for a minute to drain some of the liquid and massaged her crop, it feels like it's filled with fluid.

The poultry vet is an hour away, and I don't think they are even open, and we are having car issues.

Could you get a picture of her?
Does she have any labored breathing? How full is her crop?
Check her crop early in the morning before she eats or drinks anything and see if its emptied.

Yes. I'll be right back.
Her comb is now darker. I think she has passed. I was just out there a few minutes before I got on here.

Attachments

• IMG-8557.JPG
    IMG-8557.JPG
    635.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-8556.JPG
    IMG-8556.JPG
    578.3 KB · Views: 8
Her comb is now fully dark. I think she has passed. I was just out there a few minutes before I got on here.
Poor girl, she doesn't look well.
Wait a couple minutes to see if she has passed, if she starts going pale in the comb, wattles and face she has passed.

Back
Top Bottom